Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dining out: where's your phone?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Dining out: where's your phone?

by Jenise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 am

I may be the only person who has never once dined with my smart phone on the table. But then, that may be because I'm the only person left who doesn't have a smart phone.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/04/14/301819223/smartphones-at-restaurants-and-dinner
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Dining out: where's your phone?

by Redwinger » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 am

Jenise-
We have a small monthly luncheon group with rules that clearly stipulate that the first person to touch/answer/fondle their phone picks up the tab. No exceptions. Amazing how that simple rule eliminates the phone issue at the table. :)
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:12 am

The comment section is interesting. Very civil also.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am

Phone stays in my pocket until the wife and I start trying to remember who was the guy who starred in that movie...then Google...

Of course we rarely do fine dining (I prefer to cook), so this situation is at our local Chinese or Mexican hole in the wall.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:46 am

I plead guilty to using my phone to capture photos of food (even at home, when it comes out looking nice.. and so does Bueker). Often times, it is a way for me to remember what I've eaten. At one place in particular (Playground in Santa Ana), some of the dinners can stretch to 15 courses, and there is no menu. So, if I have any hope of remembering all we ate, I either take notes (which I lose) or photos.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 am

Jenise wrote: But then, that may be because I'm the only person left who doesn't have a smart phone.

You're not the only one. We recently switched servers so we could use the phone in the house and not drive up the nearest hill to do so. They wanted to sell us a smart phone, but we ended up with the smartest dumb phone available. Price had nothing to do with it. It is all about our 75 year old tech level. We have just about enough know how to use about half the features on the new dumb phone.

Agree with David that if we are eating in a hole in wall, particularly if we are expecting a call, we will leave the phone on.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

When I dine alone, it's on the table. When I dine with other people, it's in my pocket.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:When I dine alone, it's on the table. When I dine with other people, it's in my pocket.

Bingo! As discussed on the radio program associated with that website, one of the points of dining with others is the human interaction that ensues. One of our good friends had no compunction about taking phone calls or texting while dining with us (even at our house) and the withering looks she's received from us have made it clear that such behavior is not appreciated. She now behaves herself.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Depends on where I am.

Over $50 per person no smartphone. Leave it in the car.

Under $50 I use it. Like David B I'll Google something during a discussion.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Phone stays in my pocket until the wife and I start trying to remember who was the guy who starred in that movie...then Google...

Of course we rarely do fine dining (I prefer to cook), so this situation is at our local Chinese or Mexican hole in the wall.

The reference tool I get. But, outside of rare circumstances like you're waiting for the dealer to call and let you know if you can pick up your car today or not kind of thing, do you take calls? (If the landline at home rings in the middle of a meal, we don't take those calls either.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 pm

I never take a call at the table...If I have to scoot outside for a critical call, I'll do that.

I do admit to taking food/drink photos but never with a flash.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm often (usually) on call when I have groups out. If I think it's likely I'll get an important call, I apologize in advance to my dining partners. If I get a call I excuse myself and go outside to talk.
I don't usually consult my phone otherwise, unless it's to check calendar as we are discussing a future date.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Jenise wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Phone stays in my pocket until the wife and I start trying to remember who was the guy who starred in that movie...then Google...

The reference tool I get. But, outside of rare circumstances like you're waiting for the dealer to call and let you know if you can pick up your car today or not kind of thing, do you take calls? (If the landline at home rings in the middle of a meal, we don't take those calls either.)

Get rid of the landline and you'll have more money for good Champagne, Sherry and fresh fish.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:57 pm

I need to change my answer slightly. I never ever use the "phone" just use internet and email occasionally at low end restaurants.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Get rid of the landline and you'll have more money for good Champagne, Sherry and fresh fish.

LOL! Indeed, we need to do that.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 pm

If it's a typical night out, I have no idea where the hell my phone is. It might be in my pocket, if I remembered to put it there. It might be in my car if I stuck it on the charger on the drive over. It might be at home somewhere.

Even if it's in my pocket, it's probably lost its charge by the time I'm going out to dinner.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Going to Volt for Easter dinner. Phone will be out of sight with the ringer turned off; I will not look at it, I will not even check the time...I will forget I have it. The only reason I'll have it is in case one of the kids call at which point I will leave the room or call back later.

(As an aside - IMO, the best scene in the TV show "Sopranos" was when a guy wears a hat at a table in Tony's restaurant. Tony tells him to take it off and he does. That's it, that's the scene. Where's Tony when you need him!)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:32 pm

At events I organize, the only thing anyone uses a phone for is to take notes on the wines.
If they should have it on and the get a call (which is not normal - even the gusy whose wives were about to produce kids kept them off the table and one turned his back on after lunch to see if he was a Papa yet) they step away from the table. Simple courtesy.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:43 am

Easter was celebrated with my 87 year old mother and her gentleman friend at her retirement community, Oak Crest, which sports several restaurants for the residents. We dined in the Windows restaurant which served a fabulous buffet with the best lamb chops I've ever enjoyed. My 18yo niece, my God child, home from college and my 16yo nephew were "phone zombies" thru the entire meal and after meal visit with the family. I only get to see my sister's family half a dozen times a year and I was rather pissed at my niece and nephew, but kept it to myself less ruin the day for my mother. I will talk in private to my sister about this.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 am

Drew Hall wrote:Easter was celebrated with my 87 year old mother and her gentleman friend at her retirement community, Oak Crest, which sports several restaurants for the residents. We dined in the Windows restaurant which served a fabulous buffet with the best lamb chops I've ever enjoyed. My 18yo niece, my God child, home from college and my 16yo nephew were "phone zombies" thru the entire meal and after meal visit with the family. I only get to see my sister's family half a dozen times a year and I was rather pissed at my niece and nephew, but kept it to myself less ruin the day for my mother. I will talk in private to my sister about this.

Don't blame you! Have an acquaintance who does this at dinner parties. He has "over 4000" friends on Facebook he says, and can seemingly barely tear himself away for long enough to have dinner with friends. It's not just a kid thing! (But how cool that you can have such good food at your mother's retirement community. My experience with such food is that it's at best one step up from hospital food.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:24 am

A little off point, but close enough. :lol:

risencartoon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Jenise said: (But how cool that you can have such good food at your mother's retirement community. My experience with such food is that it's at best one step up from hospital food.)

They have a terrific chef and he shines on holidays and special occasions. The lamb chops were 2" thick, just barely medium rare and incredibly tender with a beautiful demi glace. Some of the standouts were cold smoked salmon, waldorf salad, a beautiful mixed green and baby spinach salad with strawberries and maytag blue cheese, fresh asparagus with just the correct crunch, assorted cheeses and fruits. Other main courses were poached salmon, ham, sautéed chicken and carved turkey. One failure though were the canned string beans, and the assorted breads, rolls and muffins were wonderful. I can't imagine that they bake on premises but the quality of the breads were so good that I have to find out where they acquire them.

Drew
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:33 pm

My folks also have wonderful food at their retirement communities. The standard dining rooms are quite good and they also have a "jacket required" dining room that serves stuff that's as good as many high end restaurants. I haven't eaten there on a major holiday but my parents have high praise for those meals as does my sister. They also do periodic chef's nights, where they'll have a local chef come in and put together a meal with wine pairings.

The food was one of the main reasons they chose to live in this community.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child