Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

You're not going to believe Rachel Ray's new show

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

You're not going to believe Rachel Ray's new show

by Jenise » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

"Rachael Ray is getting a new show on the network called The Big Tip, which follows Ray as she travels to various towns and tips "deserving waiters and waitresses." "

Her, of all people!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: You're not going to believe Rachel Ray's new show

by Frank Deis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm

I hadn't seen her for years until I started taking Physical Therapy 3 mornings a week, and now I am forced to watch her. At first I honestly didn't recognize her (didn't she use to have cheek bones? She's filled out a bit!). Certainly I recognize her style. She made a Passover dish that involved sauteeing a lot of sliced onions in butter and then adding beef brisket. And serving with potato pancakes with a dollop of sour cream on top!

I will concede that most of what she makes looks like it would taste pretty good.

And I like her better than the VERY STUPID game shows!! Or Fox...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Frank Deis wrote:

Low bar there, Frank. :wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:45 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I hadn't seen her for years until I started taking Physical Therapy 3 mornings a week, and now I am forced to watch her. At first I honestly didn't recognize her (didn't she use to have cheek bones? She's filled out a bit!). Certainly I recognize her style. She made a Passover dish that involved sauteeing a lot of sliced onions in butter and then adding beef brisket. And serving with potato pancakes with a dollop of sour cream on top!

I will concede that most of what she makes looks like it would taste pretty good.

She used to have a show on the Food Network the opposite of what's described in the Food Network's press release above where she went around the country tipping very badly. That is, she had some low bar to satisfy, maybe $25 a day for a whole day of eating out in name some larger U.S. town. I maybe watched two episodes, I dislike her and this was hardly travel information I could use--but I recall an episode of Anthony Bourdain where he ate in a restaurant in Charleston mere weeks after Rachel's crew had been through, and he asked them if it was true about her and bad tipping. The waitresses' reaction was like, "Don't even get me started." Apparently there was no off-camera compensation for all the trouble they caused on top of everything else.

But I feel your pain for having to watch her in public places! Daytime TV is rank. I do not watch unless I'm stuck in bed sick, which coincidentally I have been for the last couple days with the Norovirus. Fortunately I discovered some cooking contest show on the Esquire channel (where did that come from, anyway?) called Knife Fight whose moniker is, "where the only prize if bragging rights." That was fun. I even enjoyed laughing at the dump cake recipe book commercial and companion dump dinner recipe books. Just imagine, Frank, you can put two pounds of raw ground beef in a pan, add a jar of spag sauce, a bag of macaroni and some water, and 30 minutes later you'll have a dinner everyone will wants seconds of!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:51 pm

Frank, I'm wrong, she didn't add water to that pasta dish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p227z98e66Q
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Frank, I'm wrong, she didn't add water to that pasta dish!

Of course she didn't! Water would dilute the delicious and intense rustic flavors of the sauce, and then people wouldn't want seconds.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 pm

I did get one idea long ago from R.Ray. I don't even know why I happen to come across her show. Being a native Minnesotan who has done quite a bit of fishing she demonstrated a simple cooking manner that I have used ever since. It is so simple I can't believe I had never done it before. With thin fish filets like small walleyes, perch, sole etc and using a non stick or seasoned frying pan over medium heat, simply dip the filets in a beaten egg seasoned with a little salt and pepper and place them in the pan. When the egg is done on one side flip the fish. When the egg is cooked on the other side, place 1TBS water in the pan and cover to steam for a couple of minutes. Then remove the cover and cook until the egg is again firm.

It made me feel so dumb never to have thought of it myself. It is nonfat and you can really taste and appreciate the delicate flavor and quality of the fish. I have been serving that preparation to family and company ever since. It has become the crowd favorite as a preparation for thin delicately flavored fish filets.

Thank you RR
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Hoke wrote:

Of course she didn't! Water would dilute the delicious and intense rustic flavors of the sauce, and then people wouldn't want seconds.

What's so bad--and this isn't being snobby about the ingredients, they're just fine--is the horrible textures. Have you ever cooked pasta in something too thick? Doesn't work. Pasta needs liquid to absorb and if there isn't enough, which would be the case without added water, it merely softens. Terrible texture. For every step--like browning, simmering longer to develop flavor, etc--saved by just 'dumping', there's an unforgiveable loss of what's possible in the end result.

That said, I've begrudgingly gotta say that as a sheer moneymaker, the idea's rather brilliant and I'm sure that little lady's plucky confidence has mass appeal to her target audience.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Jenise wrote:
Hoke wrote:

What's so bad--and this isn't being snobby about the ingredients, they're just fine--is the horrible textures. Have you ever cooked pasta in something too thick? Doesn't work. Pasta needs liquid to absorb and if there isn't enough, which would be the case without added water, it merely softens. Terrible texture. For every step--like browning, simmering longer to develop flavor, etc--saved by just 'dumping', there's an unforgiveable loss of what's possible in the end result.

That said, I've begrudgingly gotta say that as a sheer moneymaker, the idea's rather brilliant and I'm sure that little lady's plucky confidence has mass appeal to her target audience.

So Rachael is your nomination for the "Hamburger Helper of Gourmet Food"? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Hoke, differently little lady. It's not Rachel in the dump cake/dump dinner informercial. I've seen her in another infomercial demonstrating some cooking device--now she's just promoting her recipes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:15 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:I did get one idea long ago from R.Ray. I don't even know why I happen to come across her show. Being a native Minnesotan who has done quite a bit of fishing she demonstrated a simple cooking manner that I have used ever since. It is so simple I can't believe I had never done it before. With thin fish filets like small walleyes, perch, sole etc and using a non stick or seasoned frying pan over medium heat, simply dip the filets in a beaten egg seasoned with a little salt and pepper and place them in the pan. When the egg is done on one side flip the fish. When the egg is cooked on the other side, place 1TBS water in the pan and cover to steam for a couple of minutes. Then remove the cover and cook until the egg is again firm.

It made me feel so dumb never to have thought of it myself. It is nonfat and you can really taste and appreciate the delicate flavor and quality of the fish. I have been serving that preparation to family and company ever since. It has become the crowd favorite as a preparation for thin delicately flavored fish filets.

Thank you RR

So the water provides enough steam to finish the fish without toughening the egg coating?
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Jenise wrote:
GeoCWeyer wrote:I did get one idea long ago from R.Ray. I don't even know why I happen to come across her show. Being a native Minnesotan who has done quite a bit of fishing she demonstrated a simple cooking manner that I have used ever since. It is so simple I can't believe I had never done it before. With thin fish filets like small walleyes, perch, sole etc and using a non stick or seasoned frying pan over medium heat, simply dip the filets in a beaten egg seasoned with a little salt and pepper and place them in the pan. When the egg is done on one side flip the fish. When the egg is cooked on the other side, place 1TBS water in the pan and cover to steam for a couple of minutes. Then remove the cover and cook until the egg is again firm.

Thank you RR

So the water provides enough steam to finish the fish without toughening the egg coating?

Yes, If the filet is really thin I skip the water part completely.
Last edited by GeoCWeyer on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:21 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:When the egg is cooked on the other side, place 1TBS water in the pan and cover to steam for a couple of minutes.

This is a similar technique to what a short-order cook friend describes as a basted egg -- her superior replacement for sunny-side up; superior because the quickie steam bath causes the white to set but isn't enough to toughen the yolk.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:40 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:This is a similar technique to what a short-order cook friend describes as a basted egg -- her superior replacement for sunny-side up; superior because the quickie steam bath causes the white to set but isn't enough to toughen the yolk.

If we wanted sunny-side up eggs, my dad always did them basted. In his view, they were easier to make and came out better.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child