Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How many you been to?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

How many you been to?

by Jenise » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:41 pm

The world's top 100 restaurants, that is. The new list is out.

Me? Zero. Gotta change that.

http://www.theworlds50best.com/#
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: How many you been to?

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:23 pm

4, 9, 21, 40, 44, 70, 93, 98
which is basically the NYC-based ones plus a few
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Why do they pictures of the chefs? I'd rather see pictures of food.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:49 pm

2,16 and 62 for me, all special occasions, though.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:03 pm

4, 54, and 62 for me, these are splurges for me.
I can cheat with 98 (I've eaten in Nougatine room) and 64 (I've had the bo ssam, but as takeout)
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:18 pm

21 and 62. I love seafood so le Bernardin was a natural. And a lot of us, here, have been to Manresa, 62. Highly recommended, the food is an entertainment as well as being delicious. I suppose I'm a little surprised that more of the places I have been are not on the list but I've been to OTHER restaurants of Daniel Boulud and Thomas Keller, not the flagship ones. I'd like to up my score as well. Per Se, EMP, Jean Georges, Daniel, the NYC ones are obvious choices for me.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Six total. But the French Laundry numerous times but that surely doesn't qualify me as a foody.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Only one for me - #9 Alinea. Gotta add some of these to the bucket list, though.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 pm

Only #54 Blue Hill at Stone Barns; but didn't see Dale there.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:10 am

Only #44, the French Laundry, for me.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Two. Meadowood and Pierre Gagnaire/Paris.

And Gagnaire was every bit as profound a dining experience as I could have imagined. The most perfect restaurant meal I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 pm

I am SO jealous of you all! Dang it--this goes on the bucket list. This year, one top 50 restaurant.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Jenise: Or you can just keep looking at other "Top Restaurant" lists until you find some restaurants you've already been to. :D

Most of the restaurants on my Top List wouldn't even be considered for most top lists that are out there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Hoke, I get your point--I just feel pretty sorry for myself for living in a restaurant-deprived town, so indulge me a little. Was commenting on same to some other people who have formed a food-oriented Facebook page about our area and mentioned the one restaurant, and it's only a caterer who does some pop-ups so it's not like it's a place you can go when it's not convenient to cook at home, and she said, "Well some of us don't like pretentious food." To which I was forced to reply, "You're the reason there's no place around here to eat." I'm fortunate to have Vancouver nearby or it would truly be Siberia.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Oh, yeah, I hear what you're saying.

Sad that the person would think of fine dining and only come up with "pretentious" but some unfortunate people do look at things that way.

My gripe is somewhat the reverse: it's a shame so many poor to middling restaurants offer such mediocre food and shoddy service and cost so much. There are some pretty low standards out there. and that's because the majority of the public sets such a low bar, or is so easily fooled by frippery and cake icing.

In a truly fine restaurant, I never begrudge the expense, and certainly not the ritual, which is part and parcel of fine dining. It's more than taking on nutrients, satisfying a growling stomach, or stuffing your face with megaportions.

But within that fine dining realm, there are so many and so varied permutations, so many exquisite experiences, all the way from Gagnaire at one end and some truly splendid barbecue sitting in a ramshackle, greasy, joint imbued with smoke absorbed over decades in the hot Texas sun at the other. And not a bit of it "pretentious."

And I know how fortunate I am living in one of the areas of the US which is not only anti-pretentious by totally appreciate of fine dining. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Portlandia is indeed an amazing food town--you're very lucky. But then, it's also true that Portland is very lucky you chose to live there. And I agree on all counts re the meaning of dining. Here's a link to my favorite restaurant in Bellingham besides the caterer--it's only for breakfast and lunch. They strive for top quality but it's absolutely down to earth and genuine. Not one of the white tablecloth establishments in this town comes anywhere close, IMO (one of same still has a salad bar, for god's sakes.)

http://www.homeskilletinsunnyland.com/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Ooh, I love that website. Got a lot of personality! I'd eat eggs there, for sure.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Portlandia is indeed an amazing food town--you're very lucky. But then, it's also true that Portland is very lucky you chose to live there. And I agree on all counts re the meaning of dining. Here's a link to my favorite restaurant in Bellingham besides the caterer--it's only for breakfast and lunch. They strive for top quality but it's absolutely down to earth and genuine. Not one of the white tablecloth establishments in this town comes anywhere close, IMO (one of the latter still has a salad bar, for god's sake.)

http://www.homeskilletinsunnyland.com/

The restaurant you mention kinda reminds me of Morning Glory in Ashland Oregon, :D they only do breakfast & lunch also. We never fail to have breakfast when we are in Ashland every year for The Shakespeare Festival.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 01, 2014 11:14 pm

It never hit me until this discussion how similar Portland OR is to Woodstock NY. Oriole9 is a great place for breakfast or lunch. And crunchy as hell.

http://www.oriole9.com/
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri May 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Only one - Manresa
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri May 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Only one! #98.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat May 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Nada!!! But, Fergus Henderson's place has been on my bucket list for the last 10 years or so. Never been to London, but will rectify that in 2015 and will definitely be stepping in to see old Ferg! However, I know he's been pretty sick. He has some chronic condition that I can't now recall, and he has plans to retire soon. Not before I can get there, I hope.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 05, 2014 12:50 pm

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for that,Jenise. Good to know he's back!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon