On the Mountain / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

On the Mountain / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri May 09, 2014 11:54 am

B"SD
Recently read of the tragic deaths of people who were climbing Mt Everest. Though not a mountain climber,do have a freind who for many years did rock climbing as a sport and thus listened and watched of the thrill of the sport.
Never the less the addage that comes to mind is why climb the mountain because its there.
There are mountains in everyones life that neccesitate climbing for much more fervent reasons.And the climb then produces much more lasting results,even prior to reaching the top.Just a question if we want to try and make the ascent.
Have a good one; H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: On the Mountain / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun May 11, 2014 9:43 am

Shavua tov Harry, great words!

Alright, let's do this...

Thursday night:

Carmel, Vineyards, Sauvignon Blanc 2013: Light gold in color with on the nose lime, freshly cut grass and citrus blossom. Light to medium-bodied with on the palate citrus peels, grapefruit, parsil, gooseberries, minerals with nice acidity and bitter lemon zest on the moderate finish. Very well-made and austere wine, without the traditional tropical fruit profile usually found in many israeli Sauvignon Blanc.

Recanati, Reserve, Lebanon/David Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon 2010: As opposed to its Merlot counterpart, this wine hasn't changed much since the last time I had it about a year and keeps its rather austere but tasty profile with a pleasant hint of smokiness.

Binyamina, The Cave, 2009 (non-mevushal): A blend this year of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot, aged 24 months in French oak barrels. Dark garnet towards purple with on the nose red and black forest berries, cigar box and chocolate. Full-bodied with on the palate ripe cassis and cherries as well as raspberries, with Mediterranean herbs and licorice as well as and tar with pipe tobacco, nice acidity and rather soft, silky tannins and dark chocolate lingering on the long finish. Almost as good as the 2008 but with a bit less concentrated and more approachable, well-made and delicious wine.

Friday night:

Yatir, Cabernet Sauvignon 2005: Dark garnet with on the nose blackberries, roasted coffee and spices. Full-bodied with on the palate more black fruit and plums as well as herbs, a hint of guarrigue, spicy vanilla, very nice acidity with chocolate-covered coffee beans and integrating tannins on the long finish. Still holding up very well, a great wine. 14.5% Abv.

Domaine du Castel, Grand Vin 2010: Dark purple in color with concentrated notes of ripe black fruits with strong cassis and cherries on the nose as well as toasted oak and freshly cracked pepper. Full-bodied with on the palate blackberries, currants and black plums with graphite, spice, and bell pepper as well as dark baker's chocolate with excellent acidity and searing tannins on the long finish. Very nice, much improved since the first taste at the winery last year. 15% Abv.

Yatir, Forest 2009: A pleasure to drink, fantastic wine.

Binyamina, The Cave 2009: Excellent.

GHW, Yarden, Katzrin 2007: 91% Cabernet Sauvignon and 9% Merlot, aged for 24 months in new French oak barrels. Dark purple in color with on the somewhat funky nose, intense cassis, cherries, roasted herbs and dust. Full-bodied and deeply extracted, the palate features concentrated black fruit such as cassis, blackberries and cherries followed by licorice, roasted herbs, a hint of smoked meat, pencil lead and baker's chocolate with great acidity and somewhat sweet chewy tannins on the long and mouth-filling finish. Superb. 15% Abv.

GHW, Yarden, Heightswine, Gewürztraminer 2011: Shining gold with on the nose honey suckle, apricots and orange blossom. Full-bhodied with on the palate dried apricots and candied orange peels, honeyed nuts, sweet peaches and candied ginger with nice acidity and balance, luscious long finish. Delightful and has improved tremendously since the first time I tasted it about a year and a half ago.

Shabbat lunch:

Yatir, Sauvignon Blanc 2010: Surprisingly still kicking, a pleasure to drink, refreshing and complex though not as good as the 2013 Yarden.

Carmel, Kayoumi Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon 2007: Nice notes of barnyard funk are developing with hints of smoked meat, the rather soft tannins and moderate acidity shouldn't keep this wine well for more than 2 years from now.

Carmel, Mediterranean 2007: Doing great, always a pleasure to share and drink with great satisfaction.

GHW, Yarden, El Rom Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon 2007: Dark garnet with on the nose sweet black fruit, oak and sweet cherries. Suoer extracted and very full-bodied with on the palate blackberries, crème de cassis, licorice, coffee, pipe tobacco and bittersweet chocolate with bracing acid in great balance with the mouth-coating tannins on the long and plush finish. Delightful and hedonistic. 15% Abv.

Yatir, Forest 2005: Hasn't changed much since the last time I enjoyed it last year except that the tannins have now fully integrated. I recommend to drink this wine within the year.

Carmel, Limited Edition 2007: Fantastic as always.

Saturday night/Melave Malka:

Segal's Unfiltered Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: A terrible vintage for this wine, with many flaws. Not recommended.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Sun May 11, 2014 2:57 pm

All thru Shabbat:

Odem Mountain Scarlet (Massive with a Roasted cherry thing and a hint of spice that I like very much)
2011 Elvi Invita - Could pass as desert wine YET works with salads and White fish too.
2011 Yarden Muscat - Solid, sweet and creamy.
2012 Teperberg Cabernet Sauvignon (QPR for those who need that $10 @ case price wine) Had fruit, a touch of tannin, dry and firly smooth)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 am

Gabe,
Are you just tasting or drinking all these wines?
Either way , I want to be you.

Friday night;
Loan oak cab franc 2010 - very enjoyable by all
Recanati cs reserve - 2010- also well recieved though a little edgy.

Lunch - four gates Rosalinda , rose .
Very bold, full body not typical. very nice.
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon May 12, 2014 3:24 am

Sam M wrote:Gabe,
Are you just tasting or drinking all these wines?
Either way , I want to be you.

Friday night;
Loan oak cab franc 2010 - very enjoyable by all
Recanati cs reserve - 2010- also well recieved though a little edgy.

Lunch - four gates Rosalinda , rose .
Very bold, full body not typical. very nice.

LOL Sam! Trust me that was not a restful Shabbat! I drank these wines with the meals, not just tasted. Didn't spit a single drop.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Barry K » Mon May 12, 2014 8:08 am

Fri eve: Psagot Edom 2010 ... Reliably delicious .. Great bordeaux blend from this winery...
Sab lunch.. Yarden Pinot Noir 2006.. Possibly I have not yet learned to enjoy Pinots but all i could get was a sense that this wine was aging out with an imbalance of prune like flavors.
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 am

Hi. Happy to say the galil Mt sirazcab had the taste of the grapes in prominence as implied by the name. Spicy and structured
Terrenan temprnlo from Spain (n mev) was delicious.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon May 12, 2014 1:40 pm

2009 Gush Etzion Cab Franc, drinking just right!
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Fri May 16, 2014 9:32 am

just catching up on some oldies. been a hectic week.

Friday night I ate at my friends and after trying and failing multiple times to bring wine that they would like, it never worked. So I brought a malt instead, an Auchentoshan three wood. Was good for a malt... I'm more of a bourbon fellow...
Saturday i had the 2010 Carmel Soumaka Cabernet Sauvignon (american label as they say). My friend brought it as a gift since I have tasted this one before and it had been terrible. This time, it wasn't as cooked or pruney, it was very green peppery. Was drinkable.
Saturday night, Gilgal Brut. Was ok. I think the first time I had it I liked it more, this time, not so much...

A good week (whats left of it) to all!
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat May 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Moshe F wrote:just catching up on some oldies. been a hectic week.

Friday night I ate at my friends and after trying and failing multiple times to bring wine that they would like, it never worked. So I brought a malt instead, an Auchentoshan three wood. Was good for a malt... I'm more of a bourbon fellow...
Saturday i had the 2010 Carmel Soumaka Cabernet Sauvignon (american label as they say). My friend brought it as a gift since I have tasted this one before and it had been terrible. This time, it wasn't as cooked or pruney, it was very green peppery. Was drinkable.
Saturday night, Gilgal Brut. Was ok. I think the first time I had it I liked it more, this time, not so much...

A good week (whats left of it) to all!

Moshe, hi... I know that you've good taste in wine and thus it really pains me that the Sumaka there in the states is so unremarkable... Really a shame.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Wed May 21, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Harry,

Tishbi Malbec 2010 - After raving about the previous release, seeking out the current release with expectations running high, I am disappointed. Not that this is bad wine, but it lacks the juicy sweet-tart combination that characterized the '09. The wine is pleasant and easy to drink, with soft tannins and ample fruit.

Midbar White Blend Southern Collection 2010 - This doesn't have, not by a long shot, the expressiveness of its bigger brother, the White 44.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed May 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Hi Harry,

Tishbi Malbec 2010 - After raving about the previous release, seeking out the current release with expectations running high, I am disappointed. Not that this is bad wine, but it lacks the juicy sweet-tart combination that characterized the '09. The wine is pleasant and easy to drink, with soft tannins and ample fruit.

Midbar White Blend Southern Collection 2010 - This doesn't have, not by a long shot, the expressiveness of its bigger brother, the White 44.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Hi Pinchas, sorry to see that you've not had lots of satisfaction with your wines recently. If you don't mind me asking, why did you stop posting your scores along with your TNs?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Wed May 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Gabe,

The wines I've had aren't bad, just not special for one, and at others not made in the style I prefer. I sometimes stock up, knowing quite well that the wines might not turn out to be all that great. Besides, over time, my mood and taste changes, and then I adjust accordingly.

As for scores, they are not that important. You should get a sense of how I value the wines I've had based on my comments. I've been busy of late, and just don't have the patience to try and be consistent with my scoring. Also, eliminating them, makes it easier for me to post.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum