The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Joachim Flick and Weingut Hupfeld.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Joachim Flick and Weingut Hupfeld.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:27 pm

I was helping out downtown and was checking some new 2012s that have just arrived. I noticed the name Flick on some of the old attractive labels from Hupfeld so I did some searching and just found this>

"One of the most florid labels of all is that illustrated here for the wines of a sandy enclave in Hochheim in the far eastern Rheingau, a vineyard called Victoria Berg ever since Queen Victoria visited it in the mid 19th century (when fine German wines were the height of fashion and cost at least as much as first growth red bordeaux). For 80 years it belonged to the Hupfeld estate and the wines were not desperately exciting, but last year it was taken over by Reiner Flick, a Hochheim grower who took over from his father Joachim in 1992 and has grown the estate from three to 19 hectares. He also bought an old mill that belonged to the Prince of Hesse for 500 years in which, to judge from the photographs he was showing at this week’s Rheingau Riesling tasting, much jollification as well as vinification takes place. Because of the Hesse connection, he has appropriated the Hessian lion on his dramatic new labels.

Now that he owns the Königin Victoria Berg vineyard, for which he is determined to retain the old label design, substituting silver for gold and inserting his name at the bottom, he has two monopoles. The other vineyard of which he is sole owner is Wicker Nonnberg, a more limestone-dominated site that is designated one of the chosen sites for the top Erstes Gewächs dry Rieslings. I enjoyed his wines, even if the two 2010s from the Victoria Berg were much less expressive than the 2009s. I imagine it will take some time to get the vineyard into ideal shape".

Of interest to some here I think?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: Joachim Flick and Weingut Hupfeld.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 pm

Well, the 2012 vintage (Hochheimer Konigin Victoriaberg Kabinett) has finally shown up on the shelf, $26 Cdn. Wonder how long I should leave in the cellar for maximum enjoyment :D .
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Bob, I have little experience of Rheingau Riesling but, as a general rule of thumb with age-worthy whites on which I have no experience or trustworthy advice, I would drink before the third winter following the harvest or leave it for another 8 years or so. With Riesling you are generally safe that there has been no new oak treatment which, for me, would upset the rule of thumb at the young end.

What do the German experts think?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Well, the 2013 est arrive!! Hochheimer Konigin Victoriaberg Kabinett Trocken so am keen to see if the standard at Hupfeld is still on the rise.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:46 am

Tim York wrote:Bob, I have little experience of Rheingau Riesling but, as a general rule of thumb with age-worthy whites on which I have no experience or trustworthy advice, I would drink before the third winter following the harvest or leave it for another 8 years or so. With Riesling you are generally safe that there has been no new oak treatment which, for me, would upset the rule of thumb at the young end.

What do the German experts think?

Sadly the experts were busy elsewhere Tim! Anyhow, its NYE and I am just opening the 2012 Riesling Kabinett that I mentioned above. Stay tuned :D .
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Funny you should bump this thread. Someone just gave me a bottle of 2013 J. Flick Hochheimer Königin Victoriaberg GG. I was not very familiar with Flick but look forward to opening it.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:46 am

Nice one Rahsaan. Might be on the dry side eh..and a fair amount of acidity at this early stage? I have read a lot about GG but not had the chance to try that many.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Nice one Rahsaan. Might be on the dry side eh..and a fair amount of acidity at this early stage? I have read a lot about GG but not had the chance to try that many.

I don't know what you mean by 'a fair amount of acidity'? Most GGs are pretty ripe wines (at least by my standards) so as a general category I wouldn't call them 'acidic' or 'sharp'. They are 'prestige' wines afterall. Kabinett trocken and QbA trocken on the other hand are more likely to be screechy.

But of course everything (for all categories) depends on vintage, producer and vineyard. And I don't know much about Flick or this vineyard.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 am

I have never tasted a wine from this producer, but the Victoriaberg has a historically good reputation. It's right up against the river, as are many of the top Rheingau sites (e.g. Jesuitengarten, Marcobrunn).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:34 am

Rahsaan wrote:Funny you should bump this thread. Someone just gave me a bottle of 2013 J. Flick Hochheimer Königin Victoriaberg GG. I was not very familiar with Flick but look forward to opening it.

I opened the bottle tonight and it was pretty delicious. Firm, poised, but also giving of pleasure. It's also pretty darn elegant (in that firm deep Rheingau way), so I'd be happy to taste more of these in the future. If I had more.