The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SFChron: Bonne on Cucamonga

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SFChron: Bonne on Cucamonga

by TomHill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:56 am

A few days old (sorry for being so slow...been doing GrandPaw duties), but Jon has a rather interesting article on the Cucamonga wine industry:
Bonne On Cucamonga

When I fly into OntarioInternational, I always note some empty fields w/ a rectangular pattern on them that are abandoned vnyds and I always wonder what stories those few scraggly vines would have to tell.
My AuntDorothy (a gem of a lady if there ever were one..from Humbolt, KS), who lived in Upland, always loved to tell me the story as a young tyke (not all that long ago) about how Cucamonga got its name: There used to be a stagecoach stop back in the 1800's there that had a kitchen to feed the travelers, but had no cook. When the stagecoach would pull up to the stop, the proprietor would come out & throw open the stagecoach door and bark out: "Is there a cook among ya". The name stuck.
You have to poke around in Cucamonga to find these ghosts, but they're there. Mostly it's now strip shopping malls and fast food joints.
Tom
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: SFChron: Bonne on Cucamonga

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Great stories; yours and Bonne's. We've stopped and eaten a couple of times in Cucamonga and were completely unaware of the legacies.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Is there a cook among you? Not a Shoshone word? Tom, I think you've become the king of old wifes tales.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well....

by TomHill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Is there a cook among you? Not a Shoshone word? Tom, I think you've become the king of old wifes tales.

Well...my AuntDorothy was telling me that story back in the '40's-'50's. She picked it up from Google. If you read it on the InterNet...
then it's gotta be true!!
Actually, I think it's an Indian word for "sandy place". My Aunt's story, though, I like much better. I think it probably came
from JackBenny. I know...before your time, Lou!!! :-)
Tom
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:38 pm

ShoShone is an Indian tribe. Practically nothing is before my time. But with your family permission I would love to use "Is there a cook among you."
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

And A Followup...

by TomHill » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Neat followup by Jon:
Bonne/Cucamonga
with some pretty neat old-timey pics.
Darrell was to one who introduced me to Cucamonga dessert wines back in the '70's. I've had some Angelicas that were stunning.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Very nice article. When I was living down there, just after getting out of college, I had friends who'd visit the local vineyards every now and then. The wine they brought back was always awful, but I don't remember any sherry or angelica. Figures that Darrell would keep the Rancho de Philo sherry on the shelf, probably right next to the Harbor Winery Mission del Sol.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child