The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Scherrer 2012

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Scherrer 2012

by Mark S » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 pm

I read recently that the 2012 zinfandels are ones to drink before the 2011's, and would have to agree after opening up a Scherrer, Zinfandel, 'Old & Mature Vines', 2012. As ever, Fred makes a pretty elegant zin, but this year feels a bit dillute compared to the 2011, which had more stuffing. Now mind, 'dillute' when considering zinfandel is not a bad thing, this simply makes it more food friendly! There is the bright, light raspberry-berry flavors, zinberry, camphor, and a slight touch of wood to work through, but this is drinking very nicely now. The alcohol still hits (14.5% after all), but the lighter flavors suggest to me an early drinkability. On the subsequent day, it turns more floral and perfumed. A pretty wine, but deceptive in strength. B+/A-
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Scherrer 2012

by Jenise » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:39 am

Have to admit, I'm a little confused about California vintages 11 and 12. I don't have direct knowledge of the growing season, but I'm getting the impression that it's not unlike Washington's although that doesn't always follow, with '11 quite cool and '12 a bit better--'12 is going to be Washington's best overall vintage in some time, where '11 was one of the worst--nothing ripened, basically.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 am

I tasted the '12 OMV Zin at Fred's last July and it was not dilute. It had the wild youthfulness of his young Zin. I bought a case of it, but am not even thinking about opening one yet. I drank a couple of 2010s recently, which were also too young. I will first finish up the couple of '08s and '09s I have. I didn't get the 2011s only because I had too much. I really do enjoy them more as they age. I drank a 1995 a little over a year ago and it was fascinating.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:59 am

I tend to drink my OMV's with at least 4-5 years of age on them
Jon
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Zinfandel is one of those grapes that makes wines you can drink right away. I always like to try one young if I have any sort of quantity of them. Young, you get all the nice, fresh fruit on them. I did mention I thought it dilute in comparison to the 2011, which had more richness and body to it, the all-around 'stuffing' that I referred to. Of course, any 14.5% alcohol wine is not going to be a weak-kneed wine!