The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2x Weissburgunder, 2x Reinhold Haart PG

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2x Weissburgunder, 2x Reinhold Haart PG

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:02 pm

2010 Reinhold and Cornelia Schneider Weissburgunder Spätlese Trocken
The fruit was 2010 mellow, but there to be coaxed, and the shimmering minerality made it all fresh and lovely with my zanderfilet and chanterelle risotto, and even with asparagus as well. The package was great. My first wine (that I can remember) from these folks, but I'd be happy to try more.

2012 Müller-Catoir Weissburgunder Haardt
Nothing mindblowing and not a lot of complexity, but lovely elegance and a bit more succulence than the Schneider. This gives something for the tongue to investigate. It is also splendid with a cauliflower/elderflower soup, grilled shrimp with rouille, and later with olive oil poached halibut. These wines are great for dinner.

I've also been drinking the 2007 and 2008 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Spätleses. Interestingly the 08 is more zesty and exuberant while the 07 is finer. I guess that is aging curves for you! But both are delicious and hard to stop drinking.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2x Weissburgunder, 2x Reinhold Haart PG

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Piesporter Spatlese was my first German wine "love." The first six months I lived in Germany I was in a BOQ (Bachelor Officers Quarters) at Coleman Barracks near Mannheim with no car. I could walk to a local Gasthaus that had Piesporter by the glass.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Given the vintage profiles of 2007 and 2008 I am not surprised by your characterization of the present state of the two wines. '08 was always the "zesty" vintage of the pair, but more rustic. '07 has always shown great class and elegance, if lower acidity.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:59 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Given the vintage profiles of 2007 and 2008 I am not surprised by your characterization of the present state of the two wines. '08 was always the "zesty" vintage of the pair, but more rustic. '07 has always shown great class and elegance, if lower acidity.

Thanks. I didn't have extensive experiences drinking the wines young, but always thought of 07 as a riper year, although I guess it wasn't the over-the-top botrytis bomb of 06.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:04 am

2007 is ripe but not inelegant.
Decisions are made by those who show up