The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

Michael H

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Short TN - 2009 Saxum Broken Stones

by Michael H » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:09 pm

• 2009 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (2/8/2014)
    A wise man once told me that Saxum needs at least 5 yrs of sleep before you wake her. He aint kidding! Right at the edge and in a word - too soon! Don't get me wrong. Great complexity. Decanted and first real sip about 3 hours later. Sweet fruit and mad bacon fat and a somewhat odd front of the glass syrupiness. This syrupiness faded at the 5 hour mark or really more smoothed out. Earthiness quality. Lush with a fullness. Easy to get lost in the darkness of the glass. This was a great look into the future - come back when you have the 1.21 jigawatts to get there.... (shameless, I know) (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Short TN - 2009 Saxum Broken Stones

by Jenise » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:05 am

Michael, I don't know if the wine you describe sounds attractive to me or not (syrupy not being a favorite thing)--but you do make it sound like a hell of a ride!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:26 am

I had the 2006 version of this a few months ago. Definitely not my style of wine. Made a Sine Qua Non served alongside it seem elegant!
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
no avatar
User

Michael H

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:37 pm

by Michael H » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Jenise - Certainly my impatience to open so quickly given the TN and advice to decant.... but can you blame me :) I'll jump on that ride again when it comes around!!

David - Love to hear your thoughts on the SQN. I've been trying to crack that line-up but keep getting the post card :(
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Michael,

I am not the best spokesperson for SQN. While I will say that the wines are very well made, they are made in a style that I do not care for. They are too rich for me to enjoy more than a few sips.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Michael, as a relative newcomer to this forum (at least by number of postings) welcome and we look forward to hearing from you.