The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Pegaus? Or old ones rarely seen?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

New Pegaus? Or old ones rarely seen?

by Jenise » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:28 pm

New to me, at any rate, so I bought a bottle of each, both 2012's. They are a Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Maclura ($18ish) and a Cotes du Rhone Villages Cuvee Setier ($28ish). Prices were in the San Juan Islands so likely $3-6 above retail anywhere else. Anyone had these?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: New Pegaus? Or old ones rarely seen?

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:03 am

New to me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Having tasted wines at the Feraud's house twice (both in the pre-Plan Pegau era) I can say that they are definitely new-ish.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:27 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Having tasted wines at the Feraud's house twice (both in the pre-Plan Pegau era) I can say that they are definitely new-ish.

Mark Lipton

Wow, how did you swing that invitation?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 am

Jenise wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Having tasted wines at the Feraud's house twice (both in the pre-Plan Pegau era) I can say that they are definitely new-ish.

Mark Lipton

Wow, how did you swing that invitation?

I called. :D By tasting "at their house" I mean in the cellars underneath their house, though entry was obtained by ringing the front doorbell and being greeted at the door by Laurence Feraud (whose English is excellent as she's married to an Englishman). On the first occasion, we were joined by her father Paul, who speaks French with the strongest Provençal twang I've ever heard. Our last visit was in '01, so I'm fairly sure that her growing fame has made such visits harder to get, but at the time it was pas de problème.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Lucky you, Mark, lucky you.

Hey, got some information on these wines. Per Parker, "A new development for this estate is the roughly 100+ new acres of Cotes du Rhone and Cotes du Rhone Villages that have been purchased just south of Chateauneuf-du-Pape, roughly 4 miles from the domaine....Now called Chateau Pegau, the wines from here include a white Cotes du Rhone, the Cuvee Lone, a red Cotes du Rhone call Cuvee Maclure and a red Cotes du Rhone Villages called Cuvee Setier." 2012 is the inaugural vintage. I found this information and the following tastings notes on a Wine and Cheese oriented blog. I left his quotes in place, as they kind of indicate he copied them from Parker but their placement isn't certain so I'm not either. The label for the Setier, btw, is purple.

2012 Chateau Pegau "Cuvee Lone" Cotes du Rhone Blanc...$15.99
40% Clairette, 30% Bourboulenc, 20% Grenache Blanc and 10% Ugni Blanc
Named “Lône” after the small stream that runs next to the estate, parallel to the Rhône (this term is used to describe small offshoots of the Rhône in the Provencal language).
Tasting Notes: Offers aromas of acacia, nectarines and pears on the nose, with a touch of exotic fruit. Bright and well-balanced on the palate, with a long finish. Enjoy as an aperitif or with a wide range of fish and shellfish.

2012 Chateau Pegau "Cuvee Maclura" Cotes du Rhone...$19.99
60% Grenache, 25% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre and 5% Cinsault
“Maclura” is a type of Osage Orange tree (also known by the name Hedge Apple). There are many of these trees on the Chateau grounds, inspiring the name of this cuvée.
Tasting Notes: Intense aromas of cassis, blackberry, and spice, with soft, ripe, tannins on the palate and a lingering finish. Enjoy this versatile, food-friendly wine on its own, with red meats (grilled, roasted, charcuterie), or with hearty vegetarian fare.

2012 Château Pegau "Cuvée Setiers" Cotes du Rhone Villages...$21.99
60% Grenache, 20% Syrah and 20% Mourvedre
“Setier” was an ancient measure used for both grain and wine, in this case, the term specifically refers to a stone vessel that held 66 liters of wine.
Tasting Notes: Offers a concentrated nose of cassis, licorice, black cherry and tar, with ripe, well-structured tannins, intense fruit, and a long, lingering finish. A food-friendly wine that is especially good with bold, flavorful red meat preparations such as pepper-rubbed steak and lamb tagine. "The 2012 Chateau Pegau Cotes du Rhone Village Cuvee Setier (, aged all in enamel tanks) is slightly more fresh and focused, with medium-bodied richness, loads of cracked pepper, black fruits and herbs aromas and flavors, and chewy tannin on the finish. It too has outstanding potential and should have upward of a decade of longevity." -- Rated 88-90/100 The Wine Advocate