The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jaffurs Syrah BienNacido '07..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Jaffurs Syrah BienNacido '07..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Tried this last night w/ dinner:
1. JaffursWnry Syrah BienNacidoVnyd/SBC (15.9%) 2007: Very dark/near black color; very intense peppery/cracked black pepper/cold-climate intense blackberry/Syrah/blueberry/boysenberry very spicy light toasty/charred/oak slight alcoholic complex beautiful nose; somewhat tart intense cracked black pepper/blackberry/Syrah/licorice/boysenberry very spicy slight root beer/RCCola complex flavor w/ light hard tannins; very long intense cracked black pepper/cold-climate very strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy/licorice/RCCola slightly tart finish w/ light firm/grippy tannins; can still use another 4-6 yrs; a terrific BienNacido Syrah.
1. I've followed CraigJaffurs from the very start. I think the Jaffurs wines are at the top of their game right now, both the whites & the reds, particularly the Syrahs. This BienNacido displayed more cold-climate/cracked black pepper character then I've ever seen in a Jaffurs BN Syrah. A stunning SBC Syrah.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Jaffurs Syrah BienNacido '07..(short/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:09 pm

How can there still be cold climate character at 15.9% alcohol? Doesn't that mean picking at 28 brix or something?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well....

by TomHill » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:How can there still be cold climate character at 15.9% alcohol? Doesn't that mean picking at 28 brix or something?

That cracked black pepper character is something I usually associate w/ cold-climate Syrah. It was definitely there.
They probably had to harvest in Nov to get the acid down (Jaffurs does not acidify) to palatable levels. Which means
pretty high sugar.
You could harvest Syrah out of Lodi in late Aug to get modest alcohol, but you wouldn't get the peppery character from there.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Well....

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:22 pm

TomHill wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:How can there still be cold climate character at 15.9% alcohol? Doesn't that mean picking at 28 brix or something?

That cracked black pepper character is something I usually associate w/ cold-climate Syrah. It was definitely there.
They probably had to harvest in Nov to get the acid down (Jaffurs does not acidify) to palatable levels. Which means
pretty high sugar.
You could harvest Syrah out of Lodi in late Aug to get modest alcohol, but you wouldn't get the peppery character from there.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Makes sense (as always). :)

It's interesting that Copain's Mendocino blended wine (Tous Ensembles) claims around 12%. Now that was a cold year, but there was definitely a cool climate, Northern Rhonish character to the wine. Less "black pepper" though and more "plum skin".
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
It's interesting that Copain's Mendocino blended wine (Tous Ensembles) claims around 12%. Now that was a cold year, but there was definitely a cool climate, Northern Rhonish character to the wine. Less "black pepper" though and more "plum skin".

Brian,
I would guess, in the case of the Copain, where the grapes probably came from down in the UkiahVlly, the Rhonish character was coming from Well's
use of whole-cluster fermentation. That often gives a Syrah a lot of Rhonish character. I have had some Syrahs from up in the AndersonVlly that also had
a very distinct cracked pepper character to them.
Tom