The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Value - It's not a focus it's a way of life!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Wine Value - It's not a focus it's a way of life!

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:04 pm

2013 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner 'Gobelsburger' (Kamptal, Austria)
First look at 2013 in Austria for me, and a real winner in the under $20 category. Lots of lime and peach fruit with a crisp mineral base. Just plain drinkable.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Marcillac Cuvée VV 2011 - Domaine du Cros, Philippe et Julien Teulier - Alc.13% - (c.€13), made from the Mansois grape and matured for 18 months in large barrels.

I love this estate's entry level Lo Sang del Païs but feared that this "superior" cuvée might be over-extracted and/or too international in approach. I need not have worried. It is definitely more deeply coloured, fuller bodied, denser and more tannic but shows no obvious oak patina and retains the original savoury and tangy character of its junior brother. It is already excellent with rare steak but I feel it may become more complex with a few more years ageing. I guess that the Teuliers think so too because they have put on the back label "to drink or to keep ten years and more". Does anyone here have experience of Marcillac with some age on it? Very good.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Very good note Tim. My Marcillac buys from the UK have only lasted a couple of years. Maybe the folks over on the UK forum might have some age impressions?
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Opened a 2012 Diseno Malbec with steak last nite and was blown away by the complexity. I paid $10 but I see it can be found for at least 2$ less at non-Ohio prices. Lots of mulberry fruit but accompanied by strong smokey cigar box nose and palate. I have just one more but will probably pick up a case. abv of 13.5 I think consumed bottle is still in NW Ohio and my other one is lost in the cellar. Not totally integrated yet but still very enjoyable right now. I'll try to set a few bottles aside for a few years and see how they develope. My pickey wife immediately commented on how good it was.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Tim York wrote:Marcillac Cuvée VV 2011 - Domaine du Cros, Philippe et Julien Teulier - Alc.13% - (c.€13), made from the Mansois grape and matured for 18 months in large barrels.

I love this estate's entry level Lo Sang del Païs but feared that this "superior" cuvée might be over-extracted and/or too international in approach. I need not have worried. It is definitely more deeply coloured, fuller bodied, denser and more tannic but shows no obvious oak patina and retains the original savoury and tangy character of its junior brother. It is already excellent with rare steak but I feel it may become more complex with a few more years ageing. I guess that the Teuliers think so too because they have put on the back label "to drink or to keep ten years and more". Does anyone here have experience of Marcillac with some age on it? Very good.

I have two bottles of the 2008 version of this, along with the '08 Causse Marines Marcillac (RIP). They were both incredibly dark and intense in their youth and I felt (without any proof) that they'd benefit from a few years in the cellar. I'll be sure to open one soon and post about it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2013 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner 'Gobelsburger' (Kamptal, Austria)
First look at 2013 in Austria for me, and a real winner in the under $20 category. Lots of lime and peach fruit with a crisp mineral base. Just plain drinkable.

A perennial favorite chez nous. Glad to hear that the 2013 is as good as you make it sound.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:30 am

Chinon Les Grézeaux 2001 - Bernard Baudry - Alc.12.5% - (c. €12-13 for current vintages)

I thought that I had finished these bottles several years ago but this one popped up in my removal inventory. Baudry's Chinon range provides astonishing value for its degree of elegance and distinction IMO comparable (or even superior :wink: ) to that found in more hackneyed regions, e.g. Bordeaux, at double the price. This Grézeaux is not the top of the range (La Croix Boissée is) but it was still singing delightfully, if not lustily, in its 13th year.

Colour was lightening and acquiring tawny hints. The nose showed the usual Baudry elegance with red fruit, a slight sharpness and lead pencil touches. The palate was medium/light bodied with lively acidity and fine tea notes added to the aromas from the nose and showed a linear shape broadening, slightly sweetening and deepening towards the finish. Elegant but unassertive and liable to be dominated by its pairing, often a problem with wines towards the end of their drinking window. Good++.

Alas :( I think this was my last bottle from Baudry, except a couple of Francs de Pied.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Aaagh Les Grézeaux! Tim I have an `05 sitting in the cellar :D .
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Cross post from main forum for a $15 mega value

2013 Leitz Dragonstone Riesling
Sampled last night, this was the most appealing vintage of the wine in years to my palate. It's notably drier than many prior versions. In fact Johannes Leitz has confirmed that it has "only" 38 g/l of RS, while prior vintages had much more (2006 was highest at 70 g/l). The lower sugar level has enabled the wine to show much more minerality, and be more vibrant in its overall feel, instead of rich and sweet. To my taste this is the best Dragonstone since the 2001 Drachenstein Riesling QbA (predates the fancy name).
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:26 am

I will try to find some of the 2013 Dragonstone.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Dragonstone not here in AB it appears but watch out for this one for Leitz! Just about to open so stay tuned.

http://www.skurnikwines.com/labels/file ... g.high.jpg
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Cross posted from the Spain WF -

Côtes du Roussillon Villages Pur Schiste 2011 - Mas Amiel, Oliver Decelle - Alc.14.5% - (€9), made from Grenache, Syrah and Carignan.

IMO this French Catalan wine really gives a lesson to yesterday's Montsant from Spanish Catalonia made from the same cocktail of grape varieties though probably in different proportions. The main difference here is absence of burgeoning oak which allows the taste of the wine to come through and very good it is. Colour is deep red and the nose immediately shows dense dark fruit with a hint of liquorice. The palate is quite full and dense with lots of dark fruit laced with spice, mineral hints and again a little liquorice and has sufficient substance for the high alcohol to remain unobtrusive. I'll certainly buy more bottles unless the local Leclerc supermarket sells out before I get to it. Very good. QPR!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Mas Amiel, bravo Tim! One of my fave domaines, guess not many here will have access. Great price too, better get back to the supermarket fast :) .
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Leitz out!! Here is a great Rheingau from one of our fave producers (it would appear) here on this forum. Purchased for just under $20 Cdn if I remember correctly.

2012 Weingut Josef Leitz Riesling Leitz Out, Germany Rheingau.

SC, 11.5% alc, white stone fruit on the nose plus citric hints, some pear on day 2.
Good acidity, off-dry, apple, citrus, pear, crisp, appeals. Thought the overall balance was quite good with bright texture. Fellow tasters were impressed, think they expected a wine a lot sweeter :) .

****** have to find that Dragonstone eh?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Leitz out!! Here is a great Rheingau from one of our fave producers (it would appear) here on this forum. Purchased for just under $20 Cdn if I remember correctly.

2012 Weingut Josef Leitz Riesling Leitz Out, Germany Rheingau.

SC, 11.5% alc, white stone fruit on the nose plus citric hints, some pear on day 2.
Good acidity, off-dry, apple, citrus, pear, crisp, appeals. Thought the overall balance was quite good with bright texture. Fellow tasters were impressed, think they expected a wine a lot sweeter :) .

****** have to find that Dragonstone eh?

Funny. Last night I had a bottle of 2012 Leitz Rüdesheimer Kirchenpfad Riesling Kabinett feinherb, which I hadn't had since last summer when it was a delightfully refreshing brisk drink. For my tastes, it seemed to have lost something over the year and I didn't like it nearly as much. Or maybe it was just an off night for me.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:41 pm

I've never seen that bottling Rahsaan. A recent 2012 Leitz Kaisersteinfels Trocken was quite delicious however.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:40 am

Joining in here, I have a bottle of the 2011 Rahsaan. Really not sure how long to hang on to this one?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:22 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Joining in here, I have a bottle of the 2011 Rahsaan. Really not sure how long to hang on to this one?

2011 what bottling?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:54 am

Rahsaan, not the feinherb but the Leitz Rüdesheimer Kirchenpfad Riesling Kabinett.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:48 pm

David may have some more precise insight, but I would find it hard to imagine that you have to drink the wine anytime soon. The more relevant question would be at what stage it best suits your taste preferences.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Bob,

As I have said elsewhere on the board, I find the 2011s to be generally clunky, sullen and shut down right now. I would hold off for 3-5 years.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:05 am

Okey Dokey! Just appreciate all the help here as usual.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:29 am

Fronton La Folle Noire d'Ambat 2012 - Domaine Le Roc - Alc.13% - (c.€9), made from Négrette.

This is another example of attractively unusual flavours available in France at friendly prices. It is a "fun" wine full of dark fruit, spice and aromatics of an original kind specific to the grape variety, Négrette, grown in Fronton. If the back label did not specify traditional élevage and a 10 month stay in large casks, I would have guessed "macération carbonique" such is the exuberant fruitiness and velvety texture. There is also lively acidity, for which Négrette is not famous, and an attractive bitterness on the finish. Because of the originality of the flavours this wine may not appeal to everybody and, indeed, many Fronton cuvées are dumbed down by blending with international varieties such as Syrah so as to seek wider appeal. Very good.

I was amused to read some of the cautious reactions on Cellar Tracker. One contributor recommended experimenting with just one glass. Our bottle disappeared in nearly record time :D .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:48 am

Fun wine Tim, did you find locally?
PreviousNext