The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Willi S. Spat. w/accidental deconstructed turducken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Willi S. Spat. w/accidental deconstructed turducken

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:41 pm

So Betsy was coming back from chamber coaching upstate, and had requested BBQ chicken. I defrosted a couple of packages of bird, and made my spice rub. As one package defrosted I realized I had 2 duck legs, not chicken (the other was indeed chicken thighs). So, why not BBQ duck?
Our CSA box had included collards and kohlrabi. I did the collards and the kohlrabi greens in a pressure cooker with a smoked turkey leg, and made a kohlrabi/apple salad, and then made bbq sauce. Bird cooked on cool part of grill till nearly done, then finished on heat while mopping on the sauce

Gave Betsy choice of rose, red, or Riesling, she went with the latter. The 2004 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #10 was a bit tight, but opened up into a lovely giving wine. A Spatlese that tastes like a Spatlese, not an Auslese*. Granny Smith, white cherry, orange zest all whirl around for fruit , some honeysuckle (unless it was the honeysuckle on the fence), and a long slatey mineral finish. Very light on its feet, but with some gravitas. Pretty much what I’m looking for in Mosel Spatlese. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Willi S. Spat. w/accidental deconstructed turducken

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Gave Betsy choice of rose, red, or Riesling, she went with the latter. The 2004 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #10 was a bit tight, but opened up into a lovely giving wine. A Spatlese that tastes like a Spatlese, not an Auslese*... Pretty much what I’m looking for in Mosel Spatlese.

2004 was such a nice year!

I had a couple of bottles of the #10 and the #9 earlier this year, and if I remember correctly I thought they were both great but the #9 was pumping out (what seemed to be) fully integrated pleasure while the #10 seemed to still have a few kinks to sort out. Not that I didn't quickly drain every bottle of both versions. And I haven't exactly been following them regularly since 2005.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Two of #9' in the cellar. Problem is reaching them!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:59 am

Love your cooking descriptions--I can picture you in your kitchen going through the machinations of deciding just how to proceed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13 pm

David, I'll come move cases for you. :)

Jenise, it was fine, but not running out to make BBQ duck again. The cooking on cool side rendered fat so there was no flame up, but while it was very flavorful, it was stringy compared to if we had done our more common slow cooking or confitting.