The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: World Cup wines.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Open Mike: World Cup wines.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 am

Forza Italia!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 am

Looks like people should open something with a good bite.

Any good wines with dive or faker in the names?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Bolgheri Volpolo 2008 - Poderi Sapaio - Alc.14.5% - (c.€25), made from Cabernet Sauvignon 70% and the rest Merlot and Petit Verdot about 15 year old vines.

I'm not sure how Italy squared up to Uruguay if the match has been played but the local offer here from Uruguay is so ghastly that I opened this one, which was a new name to me. In contrast to last night"s "fun" Fronton, this wine was "serious". Colour was quite deep and intense with a reticent nose with some round red fruit coming up on swirl which suggests a Merlot weighting. However the full/medium body and long palate showing strong tannic structure revealed the predominance of CabSauv. There was fine depth of fruit as well as structure but I felt that the wine was holding something back which one or two more years of ageing may reveal. Potentially very good.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Tannat from Uruguay..now that's a wine I can sink my teeth into :lol:
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:10 am

Shaji M wrote:Tannat from Uruguay..now that's a wine I can sink my teeth into :lol:

For the one from Bernard Magrez which I bought recently, your teeth would not have been able to cut through the wood :shock: .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:14 pm

France has not yet been eliminated and here is a good one.

Chinon Clos du Chêne vert 2006 - Charles Joguet - Alc.13.5%

This is full bodied for a Chinon full of red fruit, clay, wet leather and an attractive underlying roundness backed up by lively acidity and firm tannic structure which supports the long finish. An excellent Chinon already fully open for business with potential for more graceful ageing. Very good.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Spain is on the way home but here is a wine that I am going to try later today. Proyecto Garnachas de Espana is highly recommended by my pals at DeVine wines..they know my liking for Garnacha :D .

Tim, Joquet is on the shelves here in the westend.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:59 am

Uruguay and Tannat, heck of a team so here goes.

2009 Pisano Tannat RPF (Reserva Personal de la Familia).

I have cellared this bottle plus an `05 etXe Oneko, Licor de Tannat from Pisano. With all the hoop-la, thought the right time to dig in :) .

Pretty sure not many out there will be big tannat fans but feel they might be impressed with this red wine for under $20 Cdn. Very dark purple, rich blackberry nose, spice and hint of violets. Still some tannins here, hint of chocolate. Blueberry too, nice fruit texture here and lengthy finish. "Quite tasty" from across the patio, went well with beef kebabs. Day 2 showed some added sweetness which did not deter the experience.

Think Tim would approve!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:27 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Uruguay and Tannat, heck of a team so here goes.

2009 Pisano Tannat RPF (Reserva Personal de la Familia).

I have cellared this bottle plus an `05 etXe Oneko, Licor de Tannat from Pisano. With all the hoop-la, thought the right time to dig in :) .

Pretty sure not many out there will be big tannat fans but feel they might be impressed with this red wine for under $20 Cdn. Very dark purple, rich blackberry nose, spice and hint of violets. Still some tannins here, hint of chocolate. Blueberry too, nice fruit texture here and lengthy finish. "Quite tasty" from across the patio, went well with beef kebabs. Day 2 showed some added sweetness which did not deter the experience.

Think Tim would approve!

Sounds much better than Bernard Magrez's effort!

I see that both Belgium, my former home, and USA are still in the race. I wish them both well ahead of some of the more obvious contenders. Easier to find American than Belgian wine here :? . Pity, though, because Belgium has started to produce some decent Chard.
Tim York
Previous