The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SWR: RHDrexel Interviews Parker on HawkWakawaka

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SWR: RHDrexel Interviews Parker on HawkWakawaka

by TomHill » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:08 pm

A very strange/weird interview of RobertParker by RHDrexel on the LilyElaine Hawk Wakawaka wine blog:
HawkWakawaka:Drexel/Parker Interview

RHDrexel publishes the journal LoamBaby:
LoamBaby ,
a wine journal that has some pretty interesting material in it.
The last issue was Vol.3 quite some time ago. The interview makes it clear why Vol.4 hasn't appeared.

Has is his wont, Parker dismisses all these "hipster sommeliers" who advocate wines he doesn't care for, many of which are made from "god-forsaken grapes", of course.

It's always sort puzzled me why "hip" and "sommelier" are two words that seem to be co-joined anymore. Almost all of the somms I've encountered are down-to-earth/knowledgeable folks that make some good recommendations on wine. I can't understand the animosity so many aim at the current crop of somms. They may be "hip" in the sense that they sport haircuts I would die to have, but I find them, by & large, pretty sharp. Maybe I've been eating in the wrong places and should forego my trips to TheOliveGarden?? :-)

Anyway...a somewhat interesting SWR interview w/ some neat pics.

Tom
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: SWR: RHDrexel Interviews Parker on HawkWakawaka

by Thomas G » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Beyond weird. Parker refuses to be interviewed except by a friend and she buys into it. Then she claims that having someone else do the interview removes her "filter." I find it hard to believe she's a trained philosopher.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:30 am

Thomas G wrote:Beyond weird. Parker refuses to be interviewed except by a friend and she buys into it. Then she claims that having someone else do the interview removes her "filter." I find it hard to believe she's a trained philosopher.

Yup....beyond weird. She just replaced her "filter" w/ somebody else's "filter".
Tom
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: SWR: RHDrexel Interviews Parker on HawkWakawaka

by Keith M » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:23 pm

TomHill wrote: It's always sort puzzled me why "hip" and "sommelier" are two words that seem to be co-joined anymore. Almost all of the somms I've encountered are down-to-earth/knowledgeable folks that make some good recommendations on wine. I can't understand the animosity so many aim at the current crop of somms. They may be "hip" in the sense that they sport haircuts I would die to have, but I find them, by & large, pretty sharp.

Attending a LDM/Farm portfolio tasting in SF these days captures why . . . in my opinion.