The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Beau-Sejour, Cigale, Mordoree, Thevenet, Serene etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Beau-Sejour, Cigale, Mordoree, Thevenet, Serene etc

by Jenise » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:05 pm

2009 Château de la Huste, Fronsac
Tested for Bastille Day tasting. Pleasant drinking; plummy fruit, some tar and earth, but seems tired by the time we got to the end of the bottle. For the same price, it's no match for the 09 Rochemorin (next).

2009 Château de Rochemorin Pessac-Léognan
Also tested for Bastille Day tasting. Terrific wine for the price ($25 before discount) with robust leathery red fruit and good minerality. Traditionally styled and unmistakably Bordeaux, drinks well w/o decanting.

2005 Faiveley Mercurey Domaine de la Croix Jacquelet, Mercurey
Some very nice evolution here. Needed two hours decanting to knit together, but it drank well, loamy with lighter red fruit and warm maturing burgundy notes. Good pairing with smoked salmon and creamed leeks.

1996 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot St. Émilion Grand Cru
With two hours' decanting, this right banker showed very very well. Another Cellartracker reviewer's claim that this was on the downward slope doesn't match what I tasted last night, especially compared to the harsh and screechy thing we opened 3-4 years ago. Rather, it's a mature wine that seems perfectly in its drinking window, a place it can probably hold for a few years yet.

2006 Domaine Chante Cigale Châteauneuf-du-Pape Yeah, I liked it but...it just didn't sing. Among several modest Bordeauxs, a Mordoree CdR and one or two American reds, it was the dullest wine on the table. On the other hand we weren't terribly fair to it. Dinner was already over so there was no food benefit, and we didn't decant. Think I'll wait two years for the next bottle, and make sure it's with dinner.

2012 Domaine de la Mordorée Côtes du Rhône La Dame Rousse
This vintage is just a little lighter than the 08, which I had a case of, was; mixed red fruits with black olive and a lift from good acidity. Good food wine for now; with time, could relax into a sipper.

2005 Le Pauillac de Pichon Longueville
I almost never buy seconds, but couldn't resist the Pichon connection in a vintage like 05 for $20/bottle back when. This needs more time. Seems to have all the right stuff but it's still tight and a bit astringent. Will try in another year but I suspect two's needed.

2013 Chateau Ste. Michelle Syrah Rosé Washington
Brought to dinner by Layne. I tend to dread the easily available CSM wines but the low production wines Layne receives through the club are always a lot more interesting. This one: red rose petals, butter and a basil note, elegantly dry and balanced. Not just good, but one of the best WA roses I've ever had.

2005 Château de Reignac Cuvée Spéciale Bordeaux Supérieur
Big, generous flavors immediate upon opening. Ripe black fruit, cedar and a bit of asphalt with the obvious Rolland oak (and 14+% alc) that comes together in a very pleasing way. Opened with several other wines, and it was the clear favorite of my guests who probably drink more new world wines than old. And I didn't mind it a bit.

2009 Jean-Paul Thevenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes Gamay
Popped and poured with Chinese take-out. Raspberry fruit and pepper opened up nicely over two hours (and was best in the second); lively acidity and some spice. None of the funk or cranberry other Cellartrackerers complained of. Super nice, and very correct for a good five year Bojo.

2008 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Yamhill Cuvée Willamette Valley
At SALT in Juneau. Still young with fruit as intense as the tannins are big, and more extracted than I associate with this producer, but they've had an upheaval in the winemaking team and I sense that's what I'm tasting--my familiarity is all pre-change. At age 6, it's still very primary and a few years away from it's best showing, but it was enjoyable now and has the coverage needed in all departments to show spectacular in years 8 to 12, possibly beyond. Drank half with dinner and the rest while picnicking the next day at the Mendenhall Glacier. Not bad!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Beau-Sejour, Cigale, Mordoree, Thevenet, Serene etc

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Jenise wrote:2005 Faiveley Mercurey Domaine de la Croix Jacquelet, Mercurey
Some very nice evolution here. Needed two hours decanting to knit together, but it drank well, loamy with lighter red fruit and warm maturing burgundy notes. Good pairing with smoked salmon and creamed leeks.

Ah, just asked question re match in the kitchen forum. Not something that intuitively works for me, but I should try.

Jenise wrote:1996 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot St. Émilion Grand Cru
With two hours' decanting, this right banker showed very very well. Another Cellartracker reviewer's claim that this was on the downward slope doesn't match what I tasted last night, especially compared to the harsh and screechy thing we opened 3-4 years ago. Rather, it's a mature wine that seems perfectly in its drinking window, a place it can probably hold for a few years yet.

Hard is usually my word for 96 RB, glad this showed well

Jenise wrote:2005 Le Pauillac de Pichon Longueville
I almost never buy seconds, but couldn't resist the Pichon connection in a vintage like 05 for $20/bottle back when. This needs more time. Seems to have all the right stuff but it's still tight and a bit astringent. Will try in another year but I suspect two's needed.

But this isn't a second but a third, right? :)

Nice notes, thanks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm sure you're right re 2nd vs. 3rd. Though I recognize a few seconds, like Latour's and Gruaud Larose's, the others are all pretty much unknowns to me.

And re the salmon, no not intuitive at all. Which makes the fact that it does work extra delightful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Is it from Lalande or Baron (both have Longueville in name, though I think if people say Pichon Longueville they usually mean P-Baron). 2nd of P-Baron is Les Tourelles de Longueville; 2nd of P-Lalande is Reserve de la Comtesse.

It was the salmon that was throwing me- I've not liked smoked salmon with reds, but I can see how the creamed leeks would buffer. Will try soon!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:41 pm

It's the Baron.

Btw, re those creamed leeks? In spite of the 'cream' in the name, I really just make a very thick béchamel with regular milk--the flour's needed to get the quenelle to form.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:38 pm

I only recently drank my bottle of 2000 Tourelles de Longueville. It was delicious, and had time to spare.
Decisions are made by those who show up