Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pork Rillettes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Pork Rillettes

by Jenise » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:37 pm

My friend Vic used this recipe--best pork rillettes I've ever had, by far. From Elias Cairo, Olympic Provisions, Portland, OR. Makes 2 pints.

Ingredients:

1/4 c dry white wine
4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
1 inch piece peeled/scraped fresh ginger, grated
1 tblsp plus 1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp curing salt (also called pink salt or Prague salt)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp finely chopped thyme leaves
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
2 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed, cut into 1" cubes
1 1/2 c lard

Preparation:

In a large bowl, whisk together the white wine, garlic, fresh ginger, 1 tblsp plus 1 tsp of the salt, the curing salt, and all the dry spices. Add the chopped pork shoulder and stir to evenly coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 300 F. To a small saucepan set over medium heat add the lard and slowly warm until it is completely liquefied. To a large baking dish or Dutch oven add the chopped pork shoulder and pour the lard over the meat. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake until the meat is very tender and pulls apart easily, about 2.5 hours.

Remove the pork shoulder from the oven and set aside for an hour to cool. Set a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and separate the meat from the fat. Set the bowl with the fat aside (you'll use it later). Turn the pork onto a cutting board and roughly chop it, then transfer to a large bgowl. Add about 1/3 of the reserved drained fat back to the pork and stir to combine. Taste for salt and add more if needed.

Divide the rillettes between two pint jars. Cover and refrigerate for an hour, then pour remaining fat (reheat if necessary to liquefy) over the top of each jar to create a 1/4 inch layer of protective fat. Seal and refrigerate--keeps up to a month.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: RCP: Pork Rillettes

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks for this, Jenise. Will definitely try this version next time. Love the spice combinations.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:51 am

I just copied it to my recipe folder, and will definitely try it soon, The current time is 6:42AM and my mouth is wanting it and wanting it NOW!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Even uncooked the aroma of the spice mixture and wine is amazing. P.S. if you are making this anytime soon, I suggest you source where you can get pink salt. It occurred to me when I was searching the web that I probably could get a manageable amount from a nearby butcher at reasonable cost. Voila!
_1020196 (800x601).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm

You're making it (them? Is one shred rillettes singular?)! Can't wait to hear how it/them turn out. Vic's was/were delicious.

DOES ANYONE AROUND HERE SPEAK FRENCH? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:03 pm

Okay, made and tasted. Very good. But, I thought the seasonings were a little light (1/8 tsp is negligible in 3lbs meat). I prefer the flavors of the Food & Wine recipe. Like with that recipe, I only used 1/2 TBSP salt, which was plenty. After tasting it, I decided to mix up the spice blend of the F&W recipe and add some of it to this recipe. Will taste again in a couple days. So far, so good!
_1020197 (800x601).jpg

_1020200 (800x601).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Hmmm...Vic's definitely wasn't underseasoned but I have to say that as I typed all those 1/8 tsps. I thought, REALLY? Maybe he doubled down, though he didn't mention that (and as a 35 year science teacher, NOT following the recipe to the letter, at least the first time, is pretty out of character). But I appreciate your feedback. Would you mind posting the F & W recipe?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Click on Food & Wine in my post above for the recipe.