Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Drying herbs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Drying herbs

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Requesting instructions for drying herbs at home.
Our tiny herb garden is a complete success; beginner's luck I'd guess. I assume that it easy to dry herbs at home without buying since folks have been doing it for 100s of years. Just gather and hang upside down? Is that all?
Thanks in advance!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Drying herbs

by Redwinger » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Jon-
That's pretty much what I do.
A few tips:
Pick the herbs after the morning dew has dried.
I insert the upside down stalks through a hole in the bottom of a paper bag (don't use plastic). I'm not sure this is necessary, but I dry the herbs in the garage and I'm always putzing around in there and the bags keep the dust ofj the leaves.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Drying herbs

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:08 pm

That's pretty much how I do it. But, I try to dry in small batches where I can just lay them out on a sheet pan. It only takes a few days for most herbs. For large batch harvesting (like lavender), I don't bother hanging, I just gather into a grocery bag and sit them in the garage. Without the bag (paper) you will end up with fallen dried herbs all over. The ones that do best without falling seem to be rosemary and bay. Good luck.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon