The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines at a picnic and on a deck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Wines at a picnic and on a deck

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Bugs on sale at Stew’s, so I threw together a lobster/corn/tomato salad for our picnic at jazz concert. Lovely night on the lawn, with:

2007 Pernot Puligny-Montrachet
Showing very well, no sign of premox, pear and citrus framed by the lightest touch of oak, good acids, good length, just what I’d want in village Puligny. B+/A-

2006 Pinon “Cuvee Tradtion” Vouvray
Sec-tendre, tropical and melon fruit, light honied notes, just a hint of wool. Nice length, fun wine. B+

2013 L’Enclos rose (Cotes de Gascogne)
Light bodied, good acids, berry fruit, pleasant, a touch dilute. B-

Last night we gathered the hound and hiked over the hill to some friends’ home. Their poodle recently passed away, and Lucy was a little confused as she ran around house looking for her friend. But we gave her a bone and that kept her concentration focused as we had a pleasant dinner on the deck. Betsy had made bruschetta with my garlic scape pesto topped with white beans and pancetta, which we enjoyed with 2 pinks

2013 Chais St. Laurent Chinon rose
Nice cherry/berry flavors, but lacking in acid for a rose, and a bit short. B-/C+

NV Chidaine Touraine Brut Rose
This is an old favorite, but didn’t show quite as well as previous bottles. . It’s the last of last years shipment, and seemed less vibrant than the past. Drink up and buy the new batch. B-

Dinner was spareribs with lemon, rosemary and lemon, along with green beans and tomato as well as a salad

2004 Muga Rioja Reserva
Red fruits, some tannin, oak pretty obvious but not as annoying as last time I had this. Good length, needs some leg of lamb, B

2011 Tissot Arbois Chardonnay
Pear and white peach, a little hint of vanilla, dry, full, long, stands up to the meat. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Wines at a picnic and on a deck

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:25 pm

I have a bottle of the 2008 vintage of Pernot Puligny. I hope it drinks as well as the 2007 did for you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 pm

We just drank a bottle of the "new batch" Chidaine Touraine rose. Tip: open it one day, drink the next. It's fairly sweet up front on initial opening but comes into balance overnight.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:55 pm

JC, Pernot is very dependable - my favorite QPR Puligny. As long as you beat the pox

Thanks Jenise. Just picked some up Mon. Based on that report I'll open one night when we just want a small glass, then drink rest following day.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks Jenise. Just picked some up Mon. Based on that report I'll open one night when we just want a small glass, then drink rest following day.

Strictly an accident--we just didn't finish the bottle, probably because I wasn't enjoying it so much due to that sweetness. A day or two later--wow!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov