Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Feedback on Lobel's meats

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Feedback on Lobel's meats

by Randy Buckner » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:09 pm

We purchased a ham and a dry-aged beef tenderloin from Lobel's of New York for use over the holidays. While the ham is very meaty and smoky, I do not see enough QPR to make this a repeat purchase.

The tenderloin is a different story. It was worth every penny. Very beefy, the meat could almost be cut with a fork. There was no waste whatsoever, and the plates were cleaned -- poor dog got nothing but a little juice. This is the best beef I have ever enjoyed, and it will definitely be a repeat order.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Feedback on Lobel's meats

by Bob Ross » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:09 am

Thanks for the report, Randy. We've never tried the ham, but they are really experts with beef, in our experience. Ask for a sample order of their meatballs next time -- I'd love to see what you think.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:40 am

Ask for a sample order of their meatballs next time -- I'd love to see what you think.

I'll do that, Bob.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:27 am

We have ordered their steaks -- usually their very thick bone in ribeyes and NY strips. They are beyond compare in our book. We try to save them for special occasions.

We'll have to try their meatballs too!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:37 pm

As you probably know Randy, I had a dry aged bone in standing rib roast for Christmas dinner. While the roast was excellent, and the flavor very beefy, I do not think I would pay the premium price for the experience. What I do intend to do though is to purchase a whole boneless rib eye and dry age a 5-7 pound roast from that. I don't see why I couldn't wrap it in cloth and change the cloth daily. I would need to keep the fridge at or close to 36 degrees, for 14-21 days which should be sufficient. I will report on the experiment
Bob Henrick