Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Damn you, Trader Joe's!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Damn you, Trader Joe's!

by Jenise » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 pm

My favorite canned tuna has gone away.

It has been replaced by a new 'brand'/look with several options, mostly relating to salt, all in water, none in olive oil. And the new packaging? Looks like cat food. CHEAP cat food.

My favorite snack has gone away too.

We loved the popcorn with olive oil and herbs--we'd buy a bag and munch on it to stave off hunger while doing other errands. It had the distinct taste of olive oil and herbs d'provence. What they slyly offer instead now is called popcorn with herbs and spices and it's in an olive green bag--but it's just a seasoned salt. Doesn't taste particularly herbal and of course the olive oil flavor's flat-out gone, because there isn't any.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Damn you, Trader Joe's!

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm sure I didn't read you arights... were you discussing brand-loyalty at TJ's?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:07 am

What is it with the tuna in water?? UUUUUUUGGG!!! No flavor, sandpaper texture, that stuff is just nasty. We need to start a revolt over this. :evil:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:34 am

I was just at TJ's on Monday and saw the new canned tuna packaging, but there were some packed in olive oil as well as water. Did you ask the customer service desk if they still had it? Maybe they were just out, or don't send them to all stores.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 am

I think this is a symptom of all large volume stores. We have a BJs in our area that we've belonged to for many years. We were getting Sobe Lifewater for True Love for years there at a great price. Suddenly they dropped it. We can get it everywhere else, even in the smallest convenience stores, but at a much higher price. Despite what people are buying, the computers at headquarters make decisions that leave customer out in the cold!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I'm sure I didn't read you arights... were you discussing brand-loyalty at TJ's?

Stupid me, but yes! Hits particularly hard when you go I for three things and get aced on the first two.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:I was just at TJ's on Monday and saw the new canned tuna packaging, but there were some packed in olive oil as well as water. Did you ask the customer service desk if they still had it? Maybe they were just out, or don't send them to all stores.

Could be either, though there wasn't any empty shelf space where the in-oil would be. And there should be, ours is actually a fairly large store in terms of square footage, space would not typically be the problem it would be at many other TJ's.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:26 pm

My wife is an anti-skipjack snob and we often buy oil pack. I'm more forgiving. (And how would you know what cheap cat food is like, Jenise - I'll bet the kitties chez vous chow down on the premium stuff!)

As for the popcorn, I hate prepopped and always do it myself. Then add butter and herbes de Provence and usually a half clove of garlic. Yum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:My wife is an anti-skipjack snob and we often buy oil pack. I'm more forgiving. (And how would you know what cheap cat food is like, Jenise - I'll bet the kitties chez vous chow down on the premium stuff!)

As for the popcorn, I hate prepopped and always do it myself. Then add butter and herbes de Provence and usually a half clove of garlic. Yum.

My kitties eat well! But I'm talking about packaging here--the cheap brands look cheap from a mile away, and the new Trader Joe's labels are right in there. And I completely agree with you about popcorn, but like I said, what TJ's USED to have was actually pretty good road food. I didn't buy it to bring home, just bought it to kill gnawing hunger.
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

I have purchased the yellow fin tuna in olive oil and the new packaging both in La Quinta and Bellingham, since we returned this spring. I did have to have a store employee direct me to it with the new label, a big yellow fish on a blue background, but it appears to be the same product I bought before the label change.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Susan, thanks for responding--I too found the olive oil version last week. I'd forgotten to come back to this thread and mention it.