Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The little Potato Salad that could

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The little Potato Salad that could

by Jenise » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:19 pm

From SLATE onlne magazine:

Last week, Zack Brown posted a Kickstarter page titled simply “Potato Salad.”

“I’m making potato salad,” Brown wrote. Then, in case anybody was confused or skeptical or more inclined to support the preparation of a German-style potato salad than a mayo-heavy American version, he clarified: “Basically I'm just making potato salad. I haven't decided what kind yet.”

His goal: $10.

The Internet giggled, and emptied its wallet. Within a couple of days, his project had raised more than $1,000. BuzzFeed swooped in for an interview. "I’ve always enjoyed potato salad at Memorial Day parties and Labor Day parties," explained Brown, 31, co-founder of the startup Base Two Interactive in Columbus, Ohio. "Early this week someone asked if I’d ever made potato salad and I couldn’t say that I had. So I turned to Kickstarter to change that."

Now, as of the writing of this post, the potato salad project has raised more than $10,000, thanks to more than 1,400 backers. The page has been shared on Facebook more than 77,000 times.

At this point, Brown seems to be straining for ideas as to what he should do with this funding windfall. He’s already promised to livestream his preparation of the dish. As funding approached $3,000, Brown suggested making an event of it:

My kitchen is too small! I will rent out a party hall and invite the whole internet to the potato salad party (only $10 and above will be allowed in the kitchen)! The internet loves potato salad! Let's show them that potato salad loves the internet!!
I'm hoping that “Let’s show them that potato salad loves the internet” is actually code for “I'm going to prepare some potato salad then donate most of these extra proceeds to a local food bank, so that people who don’t have money to throw at gag Kickstarters can enjoy a meal.” That will make the joke even better!

Update, July 7, 2014, 5 p.m.: Since we posted this article, Brown's potato salad project has raised a total of more than $23,000.

Update, July 8, 2014, 1 p.m.: Since we posted the above update, Brown's potato salad project has raised a total of more than $40,000.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: The little Potato Salad that could

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Sounds like a con job to me.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Well yeah, but then the whole premise of the site is that people will give small amounts of money to stupid ideas. See http://idealmedia.com/blog/43405952577/ ... -Campaigns
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm guessing that the simplicity and absurdity of the quest had a lot of appeal in a "how big can this get" kind of way--I'm sure no one actually thought they were actually helping. This will no doubt spawn a host of imitators. Hmmm...maybe I need help with making fried chicken.

Btw, Monday was National Fried Chicken Day. I'm overdue for a fix.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm

...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm guessing that the simplicity and absurdity of the quest had a lot of appeal in a "how big can this get" kind of way--I'm sure no one actually thought they were actually helping. This will no doubt spawn a host of imitators. Hmmm...maybe I need help with making fried chicken.

Btw, Monday was National Fried Chicken Day. I'm overdue for a fix.

What's your PayPal Jenise? We can make it happen!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:27 am

I must be getting old as that whole thing has me confused on so many levels.

Is Zack Brown famous in any way?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:41 am

Rahsaan, I have no idea. The name doesn't mean anything to me.