Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

2014 Veggie Garden Thread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: 2014 Veggie Garden Thread

by Peter May » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:49 am

Alan Wolfe wrote:Had my first tomato from my garden yesterday. It's was from a determinate hybrid variety called "Better Bush." Not great, but better than anything in the supermarket.

I looked up Better Bush and it has a good write up, but doesn't appear to be available here.

I'm growing several different varieties this year, including some unusual heritage ones, but most successful and earliest again is a favourite - 'Sungold', golden cherry sized tomatoes from a cordon plant. Large producer: yesterday on one truss I counted 45 tomatoes and there are still flowers , I reckon there will be 53 tomatoes on this one truss.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:08 am

Lucky you!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Other than herbs, we harvested the first fruit from the garden yesterday; a cucumber! There are tomatoes on every vine, but none ripe yet.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Vampire Repellant 004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:49 pm

I was right, I've been eating ripe tomatoes since July 4th. Pick a few more every day. Ate my first Flamme last week. What a summer this has been.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:29 am

Now, some less happy news: Mary is battling a bad case of "early blight" in our garden. It took out one of the San Marzanos (sob!) and a couple of okra. She has doused everything with maneb, hoping to save the rest, and is muttering about needing to find a different place to plant veggies next year and let this garden lie fallow. Problem is, in an urban neighborhood you just don't have all that much yard to fool with.

http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomato-blight-early.html
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:33 am

Robin Garr wrote:Now, some less happy news: Mary is battling a bad case of "early blight" in our garden. It took out one of the San Marzanos (sob!) and a couple of okra. She has doused everything with maneb, hoping to save the rest, and is muttering about needing to find a different place to plant veggies next year and let this garden lie fallow. Problem is, in an urban neighborhood you just don't have all that much yard to fool with.

http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomato-blight-early.html

I wonder if soil solarization at the end of the season or early next Spring might help rid your garden of the blight?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:43 am

Redwinger wrote:I wonder if soil solarization at the end of the season or early next Spring might help rid your garden of the blight?

I'm going to have to google that, but I'll definitely pass that on to her, Bill, and thanks! Her studies suggest that crop rotation is the classic solution - plant next year's tomatoes in new ground. That's tough, though, in an urban neighborhood of 1/4-acre lots! :lol:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Redwinger wrote: That's tough, though, in an urban neighborhood of 1/4-acre lots! :lol:

Growbags.....
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm thinking about the farmer in the Bible who had weeds sown with his wheat. We have the same situation tho I don't think the weeks were sown by an enemy. All the wheat (good stuff) is doing well so I think I'll do what the guy in Bible did and just harvest the good stuff. I won't burn the weeds, but will cover them with black plastic after harvest.
Previous