The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for July: Let's go ... Gamay!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: Wine Focus for July: Let's go ... Gamay!

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Charly Thévenet, "Grain & Granit", Régnié 2011 13% abv

The son of famous Morgon producer and "Gang of Four" member, Jean Paul Thévenet, Charly is showing great promise as a winegrower at such a young age. What a delicious bottle of wine! While not as elegant as his father's Morgon, this wine is rugged but intensely expressive. While sipping, I can imagine myself on a stroll through the woods and suddenly stumbling into a big briar patch of wild boysenberries and indulging without restraint. As often seems the case, the last few sips of the bottle are the most generous in flavor. Next time I will try to allow it a bit more time to breathe before diving in.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:11 am

Nice note, Joy. I haven't had many Regnie.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:17 pm

2012 Sheldrake Point, Finger Lakes, Gamay Noir ($16.00 U.S.; Alcohol level: 12.8%). This was a wonderful wine despite its light color. It was medium bodied with soft aromatics on the nose and upfront. It the middle we found dried flowers, and fresh red berries. It provided a lovely finish.

It had enough umph to match nicely with lamb burgers grilled over charcoal and pecan chips; Italian green beans, and a mini baguette.

Found out that the umph (or oomph if you will) came from a 15% shot of Syrah according to the winery's website!
Last edited by Carl Eppig on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:14 pm

* Full disclosure upfront: All notes below are from producers I am representing. I am highly biased, but they are good wines. Some of these wines were tasted several weeks ago and some very recently this month*

Domaine Passot Régnié 2013: Ruby red in color with aromas of raspberry, currants, apple , blackberry , cassis with spicy and mineral notes. Refined tannins and a long finish.
Domaine Passot Chiroubles 2013: floral nose of violets and peonys with notes of ripe red fruit and spices, soft tannins.
Domaine Passot Morgon 2013: Lovely, well structured, cherries, peaches, plums.

Domaine Matray Julienas Les Paquelets 2013:Garnet red, bright fruit, peaches and red fruits, structured tannins, maybe 3-4 years of good future. Incredible match for grilled tri-tip. At 12.5% , this is an easy wine to like
Domaine Matray Julienas Vielles Vignes 2013: Older vines and I am generally wary of Gamay with oak, but I genuinely liked this wine. It spent 10 months in oak barrels, full bodied wine deep garnet color and black fruit aromas including blackcurrant and blackberry, power and perfume.
Domaine Matray Saint Amour 2013: Supple, fruity, refreshing acidity. Easy food match.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:46 pm

2009 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Gamay - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (7/26/2014)
Dominated by an herbal character that while pleasant, was not what I was expecting. There was some tart red fruit on the palate, but mostly an overpowering rosemary character and a finishing astringency. A very weird showing for a typically consistent wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 am

David M. Bueker wrote:2009 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Gamay - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (7/26/2014)
Dominated by an herbal character that while pleasant, was not what I was expecting.

Really? So I guess you've had this wine before and it wasn't showing any herbs? Maybe because of the ripe vintage. I haven't had it in a while but used to drink the gamay in the early-mid 2000s vintages and there was always the strong herbal/rosemary/geranium component that was difficult for me to really love. Cot and the Cabernet wines were always a lot easier.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:21 am

Lots more fruit in the wine when it first came out. At least I now know not to bother with this. There's plenty of other Gamay out there than can handle short/medium time in the cellar and still be to my liking.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:There's plenty of other Gamay out there...

That was always my attitude as well.

Of course there's so much wine of all kinds out there, it's very easy to take that attitude!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:45 pm

From a trip through Utah and Wyoming (side note: a shout-out to the State Store in Springville, UT -- good selection, including KLWM imports, and good storage)

2009 Dom. Dupeuble Beaujolais was fresh, bright and racy with no sense of overripeness or heaviness. Not profound by any stretch, but a very nice bottle to wash down pan seared chicken breasts while camping in Yellowstone. :mrgreen:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:11 pm

A late post, but I swear that I did drink this in July!

2012 Domaine Jean-Marc Burgaud Morgon Les Charmes
Light to medium-bodied, with moderate acidity/lightish tannins. Shows mixed berry, meaty, coffee, and some stony/earthy notes. Not the most structured wine from Burgaud, which is not surprising for the weaker vintage. Good/very good.
Previous