The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Geezer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Geezer

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:45 pm

2012 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (7/21/2014)
This is an impressive Geyserville. Plenty of plummy, crushed berry fruit and zin spice. Good acid and firm but not overwhelming tannins. I like the overall balance, as it reminds me of the 1999 when that wine was young. Should cellar very well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Geezer

by JC (NC) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:28 pm

I tried to order three bottles of the 2011 Geyserville and ended up securing only one bottle. I better get busy securing some of the 2012 I guess.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Just received 2 of the 2012 Ridge Geyserville which I purchased in light of your review, David. About to add them to the inventory. I also enjoyed the 2009 Lytton Springs which I bought in light of reviews in this forum - one left, I think. Financially, I should never visit this site!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Jon, the 09 Lytton was one of my favorite young Ridge zins ever. Lucky you to have them!

Speaking of geezers, when I was in Jackson Hole and shopping for wine to take camping in Yellowstone, can you believe I actually looked straight at a bottle of Geyserville and didn't realize that there could be no more apropos wine on the planet? Jeesh.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 am

Jenise wrote:Speaking of geezers, when I was in Jackson Hole and shopping for wine to take camping in Yellowstone, can you believe I actually looked straight at a bottle of Geyserville and didn't realize that there could be no more apropos wine on the planet? Jeesh.

For my 63 birthday, Linda and I shared a bottle of '05(?) Geyserville over dinner at the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel in Yellowstone.

['Course for my 65th birthday, we outdid that by having lunch at La Tour d'Argent in Paris. Not worth the money, but oh, what a memory!]
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Jenise wrote:"...there could be no more apropos wine on the planet? Jeesh.

Of course! I'd like a bottle there myself!