The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I can see Clary now

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: I can see Clary now

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 pm

2012 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/24/2014)
Wondering where to find that bacon fat element in your Syrah? Look no further than this wine. From first sniff it is all about bacon. That smoky, meaty, intoxicating aroma that brings people to life, makes the 2012 Arnot-Roberts Clary Ranch an archetype for Syrah. There's no makeup, no artifice, just meat, smoke and dark, understated fruit. It's high acid, so it cuts through rich food like a knife through butter. Perhaps not for those who look for a richer experience in their Syrah, but more for those who want to touch the soul of a wine, trace it's lines, feel the inner strength rather than gawk at architecture. I want to watch this age, but I doubt I have that kind of willpower. Amazing Syrah.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: I can see Clary now

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Awesome!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:07 am

those two are really paying attention, and the results are very special
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for the note, I should try this when I get back to the States. Do you know what the 2011 was like?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:31 pm

2011 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/6/2013)
More cracked black pepper than I could have ever imagined in a wine. There was also warm, green herbs. After some time had passed a lovely, smoky aroma was added to the mix, with a meatiness on the palate. This was a lean Syrah, but I liked the balance.

No obvious bacon in the 2011. Elements that were similar, but not adding up to the whole.

Elsewhere some other folks are citing brett on the 2012, though I did not find it horsey/sweaty at all, just pure bacon.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Thanks. Apparently the '11 is what is currently available in my local NC store, which sounds like it was not as ripe as '12, but both vintages are probably worth drinking.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Neither vintage is what I would call ripe at all. Arnot-Roberts gets a lot of crap from the anti-IPOB types for being too low alcohol, too acidic, etc. I love the Syrahs.

Both are well worth drinking, as is the '10 if you happen to run across it.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Great note, David. I will have to see if I can obtain a bottle or two.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:16 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2011 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/6/2013)
More cracked black pepper than I could have ever imagined in a wine. There was also warm, green herbs. After some time had passed a lovely, smoky aroma was added to the mix, with a meatiness on the palate. This was a lean Syrah, but I liked the balance.

No obvious bacon in the 2011. Elements that were similar, but not adding up to the whole.

I had a bottle of the 2011 Clary Ranch tonight and from everything I had heard about it being one of the less-ripe CA syrahs, I was expecting something pale, tart and sour. But the color was darkish and there was a decent amount of fruit. But as you note, those herbs were so strong, they just kept reappearing every time I thought the wine might be taking a silky or seductive turn.

In the end I found the bottle interesting but am not sure I'm rushing out to buy more. Perhaps would try other vintages, although unfortunately my local shop has been finding it difficult to sell this '11 Clary and I don't think he plans to keep buying.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:53 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:2011 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/6/2013)

I had a bottle of the 2011 Clary Ranch tonight and from everything I had heard about it being one of the less-ripe CA syrahs, I was expecting something pale, tart and sour. But the color was darkish and there was a decent amount of fruit. But as you note, those herbs were so strong, they just kept reappearing every time I thought the wine might be taking a silky or seductive turn.

In the end I found the bottle interesting but am not sure I'm rushing out to buy more. Perhaps would try other vintages, although unfortunately my local shop has been finding it difficult to sell this '11 Clary and I don't think he plans to keep buying.

24 hours later the 2011 AR Clary is more intriguing but still so herbal and difficult. And tonight I opened a 2011 ESJ Fenaughty that trounced all over the 2011 Clary in terms of pleasure. Such is wine!