Be Strong / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Be Strong / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:49 am

b"sd
Summer time is so much a time of trips & journeys.And now so many of our people are making very difficult journies.May they all go b'shalom and return b'shalom.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Be Strong / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Harry Shavua tov,

Friday night:

GMW, Pinot Noir 2009: Cherry-ruby red in color, aged for 10 months in French oak barrels. On the nose, cherries, dried rose petals, ripe currants, spice and a hint of toasted oak. Medium-bodied, varietally true and fruit-forward with on the palate sour cherries, strawberries, red currants with notes of spices such as cardamon and a touch of roasted coffee beans with good acidity and nicely integrated tannins drying the mouth a bit on the moderately long finish. Very nice and a bargain as I bought it on sale for 35 shekel ($10). 14% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Yarden, Rosé Brut 2008: Great as always. 12% Abv.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2012 Beit El Carignan. Thoroughly enjoyed. Had tasted it over a year ago in barrels and it has really developed, great right now. My previous experience with carignan was 30+ years ago with the Carmel. A long wait, indeed. Only one caveat on the current one. As my age increases, my appreciation of lower alcohol also increases. :) 15% is really up there.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:50 am

2008 B.R. Cohn cabernet - drinking beautifully right now - medium-weight; still elegant in overall nature; the fruit has developed very well, and the finish is excellent.

2012 Don Ernesto Collage - Hagafen-produced roussanne/marsanne blend - well-received by our guests and the taste is developing nicely from a few moths ago when I bought it.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi ; galil Mt cabshiraz 09 is drinking so nicely. Smooth and deep. Believe it or not so is the Yarden viognier 06! H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Alan L » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Friday night: Hevron Heights 2010 Isaac's Ram Cabernet: really nice bold red; stood up to a juicy steak nicely. Notes of tobacco, leather and dark fruits.

Shabbos lunch:

- Yatir Viognier 2009 - an age-capable wine. Lovely pineapple notes with other mild citrus.
- Hagafen 2011 Lodi Rousanne - Very interesting. Think all of what is right about Chard, Sauv. Blanc, and Viognier packaged into one.
- Tzuba Mesuda 2006 Reserve - past its prime, but decent enough fruit. Nice enough, but drink now.
Alan L
Cellar rat

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Harry,

Midbar Rose 2012 - This blend of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon is my first rose' of the summer. It starts out a bit bitter and it has lost the tantalizing nose it had a year ago. It has, however, retained its magnificent color. Overall, I'd say this is not the best representative of the genre. 13.5% AbV.

Don Ernesto (Hagafen) Clarinet 2013 - This young wine is made of Tempranillo. This wine is fun! The dark cherry fruit is prominent, the tannins are very mild, and the body is substantial. The result is not a bland wine, but rather one that is meant for early drinking. 13% AbV. I paid ~$22 per bottle.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Don Ernesto (Hagafen) Clarinet 2013 - This young wine is made of Tempranillo. This wine is fun! The dark cherry fruit is prominent, the tannins are very mild, and the body is substantial. The result is not a bland wine, but rather one that is meant for early drinking. 13% AbV. I paid ~$22 per bottle.

Sounds like a very expensive entry-level wine.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Pinchas L wrote:Don Ernesto (Hagafen) Clarinet 2013 - This young wine is made of Tempranillo. This wine is fun! The dark cherry fruit is prominent, the tannins are very mild, and the body is substantial. The result is not a bland wine, but rather one that is meant for early drinking. 13% AbV. I paid ~$22 per bottle.

Sounds like a very expensive entry-level wine.

Hi Gabe,

I'm not sure how to respond to your comment. Price is a very relative term. I suspect that you're basing your assessment on the fact that it is sold under the Don Ernesto label, but you should keep in mind that Ernie has realigned his offerings to some degree, with wines from varietals that are considered exotic to California coming under the Don Ernesto label. Hence, the Roussanne that has previously been labeled under the regular label is now sold as the "Collage" in the Don Ernesto label. Likewise, Tempranillo is bottled as the "Clarinet". Calling a wine "fun" should not be considered a slight. Quite to the contrary. I'd rather have this Tempranillo than most of the pretentious Israeli wines, that are sold at multiples of its price. It is true, that at times I enjoy contemplating a "serious" wine, even though it is flawed, but from a simple enjoyment perspective the "fun" wine that is well made is a better choice.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Last edited by Pinchas L on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Jon J » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am

All white weekend
Moreli Gewürztraminer French Colombard 2013
Yatir Viognier 2011
Jon J
Wine geek

Postby Alan L » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Jon J wrote:All white weekend
Yatir Viognier 2011

Do you know if the Yatir Viognier 2011 hit the US market? I've only seen (and had) the 2009. In fact, Yatir's website (http://www.yatir.net/en/main.html) lists the 2009 as the most recent vintage.
Alan L
Cellar rat

Postby YoelA » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Ernie has used the "Clarinet" (takeoff on claret) label for various experimental wines made from grapes other than Bordeaux varieties (for Bordeaux varieties he uses the "Crescendo" label). I guess the wine is priced a bit high, but these are usually a fair bit better than entry-level wines (Baron Herzog et al.). I've had some Clarinets and Crescendos that were very good wines (and some that didn't cut it in my opinion).
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Jon J » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 am

Alan L wrote:
Jon J wrote:All white weekend
Yatir Viognier 2011

Do you know if the Yatir Viognier 2011 hit the US market? I've only seen (and had) the 2009. In fact, Yatir's website (http://www.yatir.net/en/main.html) lists the 2009 as the most recent vintage.

Hi Alan - sorry for the delayed response. Being in Israel, I can't tell you :)
Jon J
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum