Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am

I made Kung Pao chicken last night.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:52 pm

We had our weekly neighborhood "Flamingo Friday" gathering, so I made gougeres. They were quite popular - I don't think too many of the folks there had ever eaten them before. I had several recipe requests.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Repeating (more or less) a dish I came up with last September when we had a flood of garden eggplant: An Imam Bayildi pilaf, fresh eggplant sauteed with onions, garlic, ginger and fresh tomatoes with cumin, red and black peppers, finished like a pilaf with basmati rice.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:51 pm

Busy monday with kids being chauffeured all over town. Hastily put together..pancit noodles with stir fried louisana style hot-links. The stir fry was simple with sausages, onions, cashews, hoisin sauce, frozen peas, Sriracha hot sauce :roll: and cilantro. It sounds weird, but it was good and darn tasty!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:52 am

Dinner last night was rasam, iddli, and a tomato and cucumber pachadi.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Dinner last night was rasam, iddli, and a tomato and cucumber pachadi.

-Paul W.

Okay, I'll bite. Exactly what is this stuff. Sounds Indian, but I've never tasted any of it. I'm curious.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Midsummer salad.....arugula, walnuts, soft-dried fig, blue cheese, fig balsamic dressing. A nice change.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 am

Jo Ann,

Rasam is a thin lentil soup (1/2 cup of hulled, split pigeon peas [toor dal] in 6-7 cups of water), seasoned with cumin, coriander, asafoetida, curry leaves, chiles, and tamarind. Iddli are made by coarse-grinding soaked rice and urad dal (a type of small lentil with a black skin; in this case the skins are removed and the lentils split in half) into a batter, which is then allowed to ferment slightly. The batter is then poured into circular molds about 3 inches in diameter and steamed for about 15 minutes. The finished iddli have a somewhat cake-like consistency. I like to float them in my bowl of rasam. Pachadi is a spiced yogurt salad, in this case finely chopped cucumber, tomato, and cilantro along with some South Indian spices.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 am

After 24 hours spent getting from Florida to California, four hours of sleep, and a day at work, I was in no mood for cooking anything yesterday. My wife whipped up a dish from a Todd English book that involved taking a couple of fresh tomatoes and whizzing them up in the food processor with some cumin and curry powder. The mix was fried gently for a few minutes in a skillet with some butter and sliced green onions and then a bunch of beaten eggs and a little cilantro went into that. Once the eggs were scrambled, it was ready to go. (I rolled mine into a tortilla.) Very tasty and easy, although we both thought it would be better to squeeze some of the juice out of the tomatoes to get a final product that was a little less wet.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:19 pm

An Eggplant/squash/Pepper tart. A great way to utilize the garden's late July bounty.

Food 017.JPG

Food 018.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Looks fabulous, Winger!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Looks fabulous, Winger!

I could eat that. 8)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:01 am

That looks fantastic, Winger!

Last night, I cooked red lentils with cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Dusted scallops with the same spice blend, seared them, and served them on top of the lentils. This was a tasty dish, but I like scallop dishes to be less assertively spiced in order to allow their flavor to come out. This was served with a salad of chopped tomatoes mixed with raw minced shallot and a bit of lemon vinaigrette.

Tonight, we had squash blossom fritters with Caprese on the side. The fritter recipe was from a blog called The Parsley Thief and they were delicious. I'm planning on making them for our next neighborhood get-together as they're a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Dessert was panna cotta flavored with PX sherry and topped with roasted fresh figs. That was the best dessert dish I've made in a long time.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Looks fabulous, Winger!

I could eat that. 8)

Not if I get to it first... :) That does look good.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

I've been loving the overflowing and affordable chanterelles here in Germany, so tonight it was pasta with a boatload of fresh chanterelles, basil, a mild pecorino and lemon. Absolutely delicious.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:39 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I've been loving the overflowing and affordable chanterelles here in Germany, so tonight it was pasta with a boatload of fresh chanterelles, basil, a mild pecorino and lemon. Absolutely delicious.

Ooh, am I jealous!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:08 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:I've been loving the overflowing and affordable chanterelles here in Germany, so tonight it was pasta with a boatload of fresh chanterelles, basil, a mild pecorino and lemon. Absolutely delicious.

Ooh, am I jealous!

Me too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Ooh, am I jealous!

Me too!

Me too!

Now that I'm back in the States and went shopping at the local Whole Foods to find some pathetic-looking chanterelles imported from Romania (or Bulgaria, I forget) for over $20lb. In Germany I was paying half that for gorgeous specimens. Tomorrow is the farmers market and we do get some delicious mushrooms, but only shiitakes and the occasional oyster. Oh well!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:46 pm

You got spoiled, Rahsaan. I'm actually surprised their season is so early. We'll see pretty chanterelles up here, but it won't be until October.

Tonight friend's are coming over for dinner. I ran into them at the market this morning and invited them on the spot, and made up dinner based on what looked good: a whole side of wild BC coho salmon that I'll slow-roast, topped with a fresh herb sauce and pan-seared baby lemon slices, along with Penn Cove mussels flash seared with chorizo and a white wine broth, roasted potatoes with shaved fennel salad, a red cabbage salad and some of Jo Ann's corn rounds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Making Indian food tonight. I asked Bob this morning if there was anything he was in the mood for, and nearly fell over when he said Indian food. Turns out he'd been thumbing through the new Saveur--the entire issue is on Indian food, by region--and he fell for a picture of a braised amb curry called Mirchi Qorma (Kashmiri lamb in Chile Sauce). Since the sky was full of clouds and heavy winds were blowing in cool breezes off the white caps of the Sound outside, it didn't seem like a bad idea. By the time we got home from the grocery store, however, the clouds were gone, the wind settled down and the temps were up about 10 degrees. But heck, it's on the stove and that's what we're having. Will post the recipe if it's divine!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Made up a batch of sourdough English Muffins today.

Muffins-1.jpg

Muffins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Redwinger wrote:Made up a batch of sourdough English Muffins today.

Whoa! Looks great!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:19 am

Those look outstanding. But then, all of Norma Jean's baking looks so grand. How does she stay so thin?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Dinner last night was bangers, grilled (broiled) tomatoes, and boiled potatoes. Delicious!

-Paul W.
PreviousNext