The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Gros Manseng ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Gros Manseng ...

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 pm

We're enjoying a Gascogne Gros Manseng with spicy Sichuanese tonight. A new entry in the Wine (multi-) Century Club for me. Who's tried it? Opinions?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Gros Manseng ...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:06 am

Quite a fan as is Tim I think? I prefer GM in a blend most times. Remember this wine I noted?>

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48737&hilit=gros+manseng

Wines from Saint Mont and the Plaidmont Cooperative, particularly whites, are ones to seek out. Fresh, vibrant and very fruity aperitif style wines, many at only 11.5% and under $20 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:15 am

Bob, I'm a fan of Jurançon but am not able to distinguish between the contributions of Gros & Petit Manseng or Courbu. I also like Pacherenc du Vic-Bihl made from the same cocktail but with more Petit M, I think. AFAIK I've never had a wine from another appellation with G or P M in it, apart from a sip and spit of an excellent Irouléguy.
Last edited by Tim York on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:26 am

Good update Tim. We should mention to Robin the Paul Strang book..Southwest France which has tons of info on Manseng, G and P!
I must retry Brumonts Gros Manseng/Sauv Blanc that I have tasted once before. Maybe David B will like it :) .
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:34 am

Just thinking about the wines make me want to get into my car and drive about 800km to explore the region which I don't know very well. Paul Strang's book is an excellent guide apart from the poor quality maps, but I have others. It has been very hot, 40°C+, in some parts of the south-west this week but probably cooler in the hills where the good wines come from.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 am

Thinking about this a bit more, I recall doing a little bit of book research into G&P Manseng and Courbu at Jenise's urging viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48140&p=395685&hilit=courbu#p395685 and there was some more discussion in the thread about it.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:30 am

My first experience of a varietal Gros Manseng was at a dinner where the starter was honeydew melon with parma ham and the wine paired with it was a southern French Gros Manseng. It made a sensational match, and we enjoyed the wine and there afterwards bought cases of it until the wine supplier could no longer source it.

I was very surprised on my first wine visit to Virginia to find Petit Manseng so widely planted, but the wines were, to my tastets, mostly made a little too blandly sweet.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:57 am

Appears to be some Jurancon down in Calgary at MetroVino (JURANCON 'CLOS UROULAT) , as usual slim pickings around here :( .
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:29 am

Thanks, guys. This was Maison Legrand 2012 Gros Manseng Côtes de Gascogne, good stuff for around 10 bucks. I'll post more details later, but it was an interesting wine, kind of a contrast between a light nose of apples and pears, which contrasted against a textured, almost oily mouthfeel full of peach and mango. Odd shift from nose to palate, but dry and appropriately acidic. Nice wine.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Appears to be some Jurancon down in Calgary at MetroVino (JURANCON 'CLOS UROULAT) , as usual slim pickings around here :( .

Yes, but as you perhaps know, Uroulat is one of the top producers. Not a bad selection to pick.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:20 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Appears to be some Jurancon down in Calgary at MetroVino (JURANCON 'CLOS UROULAT) , as usual slim pickings around here :( .

Yes, but as you perhaps know, Uroulat is one of the top producers. Not a bad selection to pick.

Yes, Charles Hours at Uroulat is an excellent producer. You need to check whether the cuvée at MetroVino is dry or sweet. The dry cuvée which I buy is called cuvée Marie; it sometimes tastes woody when young but in my experience the wood integrates well with a little age. I think that the wine labelled simply Clos Uroulat is sweet but very good of its kind.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:59 am

OK, thanks Tim. I will email and find out.
Not too many GM fans here eh, looking over the response to Robins question :( .
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:15 am

I believe I had a Virginia wine that combined Petit Manseng and Gros Manseng. Haven't had it as a stand-alone varietal as far as I can recall.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:45 am

JC, that would be of interest I think. I am reading a lot about wines from Virginia on this forum.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Like Tim, my Manseng experience is mostly from Jurançon, and I'm unable to tease apart the various players in those wines.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:20 pm

Like others, my GM experience is all blends- Juracon (with petite manseng, corbu, etc), or CdGascogne SB/GM blends.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Well, I went looking for the GM/SB blend from Brumont but found out it was the `08 vintage, and a very shabby store too! Clerk told me " it has been reduced to $6.00 along with the Naked Eye and Painted Turtle wines there". Pass :) .
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm

2012 Famille Fezas Domaine Chiroulet Vin de Pays des Cotes de Gascogne La Cote d`Heux.

Good natural cork, 13%alc, Lot 01, Gros Manseng, some malo, 6th generation of the Fezas family.

Light lemon in color, soft white stone fruits on the nose with a hint of spice.
Initial entry thought is off-dry, nice mineral type finish, not too citrussy, peach grapefruit. Refreshing and held up well over 2 nights so has some real structure.I consider this wine to be an excellent deal and would think readily available south of the border.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:15 pm

To echo what others have said, all but one of the wines that I've had that were 100% Gros Manseng were Jurançon Sec. The exception, as well as the least interesting wine I've had from this grape, was a VDP des Côtes de Gascogne from Domaine des Cassagnoles, Reserve Selection Cuvée Gros Manseng. This was only about $10, however, and the Uroulat can cost 3x that.

Nobody has mentioned Earl Barrère's Jurançon Sec Clos de la Vierge, but I've had it a couple of times, and think that it is a really nice wine for about $20 - less than comparable examples that I've tried from Uroulat and Cauhape.

Finally, the Plaimont co-op wines that Bob mentioned are great values, but I haven't seen them in years.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Andrew, your Gros Manseng seems to be readily available in the UK :D .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/fo ... guide.html
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:50 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Like Tim, my Manseng experience is mostly from Jurançon, and I'm unable to tease apart the various players in those wines.

Mark Lipton

Mark et al: Here is a Jurancon I have just found in the cellar, it`s the `06 Clos Lapeyre Jurancon Sec Vitatge Vielh de Lapeyre.
I am thinking it might be ready eh?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Like Tim, my Manseng experience is mostly from Jurançon, and I'm unable to tease apart the various players in those wines.

Mark Lipton

Mark et al: Here is a Jurancon I have just found in the cellar, it`s the `06 Clos Lapeyre Jurancon Sec Vitatge Vielh de Lapeyre.
I am thinking it might be ready eh?

Most likely, Bob. Why not pop it and find out? :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:40 pm

In the line up as I speak! Have a half bottle of Saumur-Champigny to get thro` first :D .