Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Got your beefsteak right here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Got your beefsteak right here

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:26 pm

This is a beefsteak tomato. Heirloom "steakhouse" variety, one beefy slice weighs about a half-pound. With benedictine on rye toast.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Got your beefsteak right here

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:51 pm

OK, so that's clearly not liqueur on the toast. What else gets called benedictine?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 am

Dang. And I grilled a dry-aged Porterhouse for supper tonight. (Well, half of it; the whole thing was a pound and a half.) From Willowside Meats near Santa Rosa. They don't have a website. They do sell good meat. Trust me!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 am

Robin, why didn't you cut the core out?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:OK, so that's clearly not liqueur on the toast. What else gets called benedictine?

Oops, sorry, Mike. It's a traditional Louisville summer specialty, allegedly created by a 19th century local caterer and restaurateur named Jenny Benedict. It's just a mix of shredded cucumber, onions and cream cheese (and, in some errant variations, green food coloring). Probably not the only place this mix has ever been invented, but perhaps the only place that named it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:35 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Robin, why didn't you cut the core out?

This tomato is so good that even the green spot at the center is good. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Ref the other thread on growing veg, can I ask if you grew this marvellous tom?.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Peter May wrote:Ref the other thread on growing veg, can I ask if you grew this marvellous tom?.

Sorry, Peter, I thought that was implicit, but I should have been more specific. Yes, it came from Mary's garden. We got the original plant from a local farmer at a farmers' market in the spring.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:06 pm

What a gorgeous tomato.

Want to hear a sad story? In this, perhaps the best summer ever for growing tomatoes in our area, my plants are a bust. Why? Because we stupidly bought Black Gold potting soil, not Black Gold compost, to amend the raised bed with and didn't realize it until we started wondering why our plants were so un-robust.

:(
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Because we stupidly bought Black Gold potting soil, not Black Gold compost, to amend the raised bed with and didn't realize it until we started wondering why our plants were so un-robust.

Awww. :(

I have to attribute some of the success of Mary's garden to the fact that all the soil now has close to 20 years of our own compost worked in. It's so rich that one year we got a whole bunch of "volunteer" cherry tomatoes under a bird feeder. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:Because we stupidly bought Black Gold potting soil, not Black Gold compost, to amend the raised bed with and didn't realize it until we started wondering why our plants were so un-robust.

Awww. :(

I have to attribute some of the success of Mary's garden to the fact that all the soil now has close to 20 years of our own compost worked in. It's so rich that one year we got a whole bunch of "volunteer" cherry tomatoes under a bird feeder. :lol:

Best way to do it. We don't, unfortunately, compost, though we certainly generate the vegetative refuse as would be required. We just don't have a place to put/keep a composting operation that wouldn't be a bug/rat nuisance to us and one of our close neighbors.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:18 pm

Get a tub with a snap-lock lid and raise/lower it into the bay?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Jenise wrote:Best way to do it. We don't, unfortunately, compost, though we certainly generate the vegetative refuse as would be required. We just don't have a place to put/keep a composting operation that wouldn't be a bug/rat nuisance to us and one of our close neighbors.

Maybe there's an environmental difference, or something about urban composting, but our compost doesn't seem to attract either bugs or rats, or dogs. No meat in it (even before we did the veggie thing), and frequent turning with a pitchfork, but it's just a pile sitting in a wooden box. :mrgreen: