The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '04 J. P. Brun Beujolais Terres Dorrees L'Ancien

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: '04 J. P. Brun Beujolais Terres Dorrees L'Ancien

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:11 pm

Ok, this wine has more names than a trockenbeerenauslese. For that it gets an extra 10 points. Too bad points aren't worth anything. Oh, yeah, the Vieilles Vignes did not fit in the title.

Let's get it out of the way, I love this wine. It's absolutely charming and intellectually interesting at the same time. It starts with a gorgeous ruby red color, moves on to aromas of wet but also smoldering leaves accompanied by red cherries, and on the palate it has the leaves, some even more earthy flavors and tart cherries all backed up by solid acidity. Great stuff. And given the price ($11.99) it has to count as one of the greta wine value out there.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Pre-thread Message

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:37 pm

Back to your tca reference...I went Corked:4, Me:0 in 2002 (although I tasted a couple excellent bottles that friends bought) but I'm 3-3 with perfectly yummy bottles of the 2004. This stuff is wonderful.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Pre-thread Message

by Charles Weiss » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:58 am

Hmmm. I've had at least 4 of the 2002 Brun without any being corked. Thanks for taking my share of TCA Bill!

Speaking of Bojo, had a 2000 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Thursday night and it was drinking really well. Very deep red fruits (especially strawberry but no longer very primary and not at all candied) and loads of earth. Acid balance perfect now. I haven't actually tasted any of my 2002 yet.

These are my 2 house Beaujolais, quite different. The Brun is "good honest wine," which is no backhand compliment, and an excellent value. The Coudert is at a more Burgundian level. And an occasional Burgaud Morgon Vieilles Vignes Côte du Py for when I just want pretty fruit.

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: '04 J. P. Brun Beujolais Terres Dorrees L'Ancien

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:01 pm

Thanks for the note, I guess I should get some. But just for the record, did this one need lots of air? Flesh out over time? I could have sworn some people here (or elsewhere on the internet) said it gained fullness with time, but yesterday in the shop the merchant was telling me that wasn't the case, so I got confused and bought something else..
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Pre-thread Message

by Saina » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:30 pm

[rant]Is the whole production shipped to the States? I've been searching for a shop in Europe that would sell it and would ship to Finland. No luck. You Americans should drink a bit less of it so we would see some also. [/rant]
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Pre-thread Message

by Dale Williams » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:43 pm

Agree on the value. First one I had was a little tart, even for me. But subsequent bottles delicious. Hmm, maybe time to get more.

I also liked Brun's '04 Fleurie and Cote de Brouilly (though a very good palate disagreed on latter).
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Pre-thread Message

by Marc D » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:03 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:These are my 2 house Beaujolais, quite different. The Brun is "good honest wine," which is no backhand compliment, and an excellent value. The Coudert is at a more Burgundian level. And an occasional Burgaud Morgon Vieilles Vignes Côte du Py for when I just want pretty fruit.

Charles

Charles, have you tried the 04 Brun Fleurie? I think it reaches the level of the 04 Coudert. The Brun wines seem better to me after a decant, even tastes better on the second day open.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Pre-thread Message

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:17 pm

I drank mine too fast last night to see if it would flesh out. About half the bottle is left for my grilled lemon/rosemary chicken tonight, so I will see how it goes. In any event it was very tasty.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Pre-thread Message

by Charles Weiss » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:25 pm

Marc,
I haven't had the Brun Fleurie, and in fact don't think I've seen it. I believe it was the 2002 Cote de Brouilly I tried---in a very un-Brun designer bottle with a black synthetic cork. I was less moved by it than by either the regular Brun or the Coudert of that vintage. I haven't tried any of the '04s yet.
Charles
Charles Weiss