The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2014 Wine and Terrine Event

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 2014 Wine and Terrine Event

by Bill Spohn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:14 pm

The first weekend in August is the date I hold my annual terrine and wine event in the garden. We just completed the 11th annual event in bright sunshine (IIRC, only one event was rained out so that we had to hold it inside). Each couple creates an interesting terrine, which has the advantage of being able to cook a day or more ahead of time, and they select wines that they feel may complement the food. Somehow, everyone manages to keep coming up with something interesting year after year!

First up was a very creative starter, a Mexican seafood parfait with a layer of asparagus-tomatillo mousse and a layer of scallop-habanero mousse topped with a prawn and radish salad and ancho chile vinaigrette. Paired with that were:

2008 Stony Hill Chardonnay – a lovely caramel and lemon nose, some colour now to the wine, smooth unctuous mouth feel and long finish. Excellent match.

2012 Rotie Cellars Southern White – this Washington state blend of 70% Viognier, 15% Roussanne, and 15% Marsanne, and it was very interesting. A ripe tropical nose followed by some light honey notes on palate and medium long finish. Bit less acidity than the Stony Hill.

The next course was a sweetbread and prawn terrine with a light salad.

2003 Jeanne Claude Boisset Gevrey Chambertin 1er cru Lavaux St. Jacques – fair bit of ripeness in the nose, typical of the vintage, and some nice strawberry. More elegant than many from this vintage – good showing.

Next up was a Terrine Provençal which easily won the best appearance prize (if we gave prizes) with bright Mediterranean colours and flavours. Served with a very tasty home made aioli and:

2012 Dom. Lafond Roc Epine Tavel Rosé – great salmon colour, warm spicy nose with strawberry and some heat, and strawberry flavours in the mouth. Clean finish.

2007 Coudoulet de Beaucastel – good medium dark colour, peppery nose, a tad ripe and the ripeness carried over in the mouth, but not over done, meaty thick feel, a wine of substance and length.

Next up was my terrine, an entire duck, deboned, spiced, ground twice and with a central core of prunes marinated in black tea and Armagnac (the marinating liquid is quite good on its own). Served with sides of celeriac remoulade, shallot marmalade and pickled grapes with a notable anise component.

2005 Dom. de Garrou Bergerac Richesse – this red was one I picked up on a trip to the Dordogne in the late 2000s. Made by a South African couple who established a small winery near Sausignac. The total work force is two, Bruce Kingwill and his wife Fiona, and Cape winemaker Etienne Le Riche as winemaking consultant. It showed a good claret nose, had excellent colour and was surprisingly weighty with more time to go. Very nice with the food.

2005 Ch. Pineraie L’Authentique Cahors – also picked up on the same trip when I popped down to Cahors to visit this very traditional winery (100% Malbec wine, treated in the old manner). Predictably darker colour, but to my surprise not too hard and quite drinkable now, with rich cocoa notes and good length. Not as apt a pairing with the duck as the Bergerac but still enjoyable.

Finally a slice of toasted brioche topped with a slice of duck and foie gras terrine served with a blueberry compote.

2005 Dom. de la Mordoree Reine des Bois Lirac – these are serious wines and often take quite a while to mature, so it was nice to take a look at this pair. Dark wine, darkly fruity nose, soft tannin and good fruit levels, with good length. Drinking well now.

2006 Dom. de la Mordoree Reine des Bois Lirac – similarly dark, the nose more reticent but it had meaty minty cocoa elements, and the wine bigger and more tannic. This hasn’t snapped into focus yet and I think I’ll leave my stash for another few years before trying one – it should be very good.

Then, without vinous accompaniment, an orchard fruit terrine.

Another good day on the garden! The participants are probably already thinking about T-12 in 2015!
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: 2014 Wine and Terrine Event

by Jim Grow » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Nice notes and interesting wines. You are indeed way ahead of your time!!!

"2005 Dom. de Garrou Bergerac Richesse – this red was one I picked up on a trip to the Dordogne in the late 1990s."
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:30 am

Which one is from Jenise?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Which one is from Jenise?

The first one. I should have made you guess!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Bill, I pretty much agree with your take on the wines all the way down, but I would add two comments.

First of all I was disappointed in the Rotie I brought--I've never had this wine before, and I was quite disappointed considering the winery's reputation. So where I actually thought the tropical ripeness made it in some ways a rather nice match for the food, on its own it got too close to 'flabby' and in no other way was it otherwise a worthy partner to the Stony Hill which, as Dave said, was a better white burgundy than a lot of white burgundy these days. Not worth the close to $30 I paid for it, and strictly on its own merits the worst wine of the day.

And then, the Tavel. While every wine served on Saturday (except the Rotie) was a great wine that went well with the food it accompanied, the Tavel achieved that rare, rare other thing wherein you take a bite of the food and then a sip of the wine and you could hardly tell where one left off and the other began. It was a seamless pairing. Bravo!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:57 pm

I always enjoy this event virtually, since I live so far away. Sounds fun and those terrines look good!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Hey Bill and anyone interested in Rotie wines:

When I went to Cellartracker to post my thoughts on the Rotie, I found notes from others that indicated a very different wine. So last night we opened our one bottle of the Northern version (which is 100% marsanne). Swampy--affected by whatever that problem is that makes wine smell like rotting cabbage. Mercaptans, I think. So I called the winery. As soon as it cools down in September, they will send me another pair of both wines in the current vintage, 2013. So put Rotie winery down as one of the good guys, cuz they are!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:08 pm

I shall look forward to tasting the replacement red over bocce (Jenise won so its my turn!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Bill, I just noticed that the reflection in the glasses behind Cooper's dish looks like eyeballs staring at the food. Cute!