The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Wine Thermals": anybody tried 'em?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

"Wine Thermals": anybody tried 'em?

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 am

Blake Gray is all over these in a recent blog post. They look kind of cool (pun intended), but I'm not sure what I think. I'm in total agreement that an ice bucket gets whites too cold, but just setting the bottle down on the table works fine for me. Plus, I'm not sure I have room in my freezer for a block of concrete.

Blake is usually a sensible guy, though, so I'm curious: Have any of you tried "Wine Thermals" or anything similar?

winethermals.jpg

Here's a rarity: a simple, useful, elegant wine gadget

There aren't many good wine gadgets. Most are superfluous crap meant to keep the cycle of useless Christmas gifts spinning. Even the ones I like usually end up gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere.

In the few months since I got a Wine Thermal, I've used it every time I had a white wine. I can't say that for any other wine gadget in the house. (I've moved away from fancy corkscrew devices and am using a very basic model.)

It's attractive, effective and extremely low-tech. I like it so much I feel the need to say that nobody is paying me to write this. In fact, it's going to be a welcome surprise for the Montana-based company.

The Wine Thermal is a block of concrete with a wine bottle-shaped hole in it. You store it in the freezer. When it's time to serve a white wine, you put the concrete block on the table, and put the bottle in it. Simple as that.

Read the full blog post on The Gray Report:
http://blog.wblakegray.com/2014/08/here ... -wine.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: "Wine Thermals": anybody tried 'em?

by Redwinger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:48 am

NJ uses a similar product made out of marble or faux-marble compound. Weighs about a ton. Since most of our summer dining is done on the back porch and deck, the "keep kool" fends off the Ohio Valley heat and keeps the wine from warming too rapidly. We place it in the freezer about an hour beforehand and it is ready to go. Used for reds and whites.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:15 am

No room in my freezer for a monstrosity like that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:20 am

i agree. I also have no room for one in the freezer. But I have been to a wine store/restaurant that uses them when it serves a bottle of white and it seemed to work fine.

Best Wishes,
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:38 am

Used a version of this in the past. It's easier to cool wine in the fridge or dump some ice into a metal bucket.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmm..

by TomHill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:46 am

Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.
Tom
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:14 pm

I have a couple of these that were given as gifts. They are handy for keeping wines cool when we eat out on our deck. That is all that we have used them for.

We have a very large stand-alone freezer.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
We have a very large stand-alone freezer.

Doesn't every Hoosier?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:41 pm

I tried an inexpensive insulated "wrap" on a trip to Greensboro. Placed in freezer for a couple hours and then put bottle in it for the car ride. Unfortunatley, when the wrap arrived in the mail the fine print said it keeps the temperature down for about one hour--I had expected several hours of results.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:21 am

That seems like overkill to me. I use a clear acrylic double walled "wine cooler" like this (but without the chrome trim):

I just take a bottle of white from the fridge, plunk it in, and it keeps it cool throughout the meal - at leat an hour's worth. It doesn't need pre-chilling (other than the wine itself). That works well enough for me.

For extended cooling, I just put the wine in an insulated bag with a plastic freezer pack. It works for 3 or 4 hours.