The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dry Riesling, Bubbly Chenin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Dry Riesling, Bubbly Chenin

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 pm

After giving a friend instructions on garden watering while we were away, we invited her for a glass on the front porch while we waited for a toilet delivery (?!?!). Recent reports of premOx in 2002 Huets have me nervous, so I popped the 2002 Huet Vouvray Petillant Brut. I was a little worried as there was scarcely a burp as I opened (not premox but flat?) but no, normal amount of bubbles, and actually a charming wine. Apple fruit with cinnamon and spice, a definite citrus zest note, just a hint of yeast roll. Good, chalky, full, and fun. B+

Tonight was Betsy’s last chance to cook for David before he heads to Berkeley, so she went for his soft spot-Asian noodles. Soba with scallops, clams, shrimp and Chinese broccoli, with the 2002 Robert Weil Kiedrich Grafenberg Erstes Gewachs Riesling. Stony, white pit fruits, dry, large framed but with enough cut to keep fresh. Full, fresh, and feisty. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Dry Riesling, Bubbly Chenin

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Tonight was Betsy’s last chance to cook for David before he heads to Berkeley, so she went for his soft spot-Asian noodles. Soba with scallops, clams, shrimp and Chinese broccoli, with the 2002 Robert Weil Kiedrich Grafenberg Erstes Gewachs Riesling. Stony, white pit fruits, dry, large framed but with enough cut to keep fresh. Full, fresh, and feisty. A-

Nice. I've been enjoying some 02 dry German rieslings over the past year as well. Fine vintage.

And a lovely sendoff. Depending on his budget, David may find it difficult to replicate such fine drinking once immersed in the grad student lifestyle!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:17 am

2002 is to my mind a watershed vintage for dry German Riesling. It's the year where high quality dry Riesling seemed to become common versus the exception.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:08 pm

We've been in Berkeley since Tuesday. I love it here, and hope David feels the same way. I know you will enjoy visiting.
Diane
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks for the note on the Weil, Dale. I have a bottle of this that I will probably open sometime in the not too distant future.