The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rudy Kurniawan gets 10 year sentence

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Rudy Kurniawan gets 10 year sentence

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:57 pm

So there's that. :mrgreen:

We haven't had a lot of heavy breathing over the Rudy trial here, mostly (I assume) because most of us don't drink the kind of wine he was faking or rub shoulders with those who do. Although I have pulled cork with Bill Koch, "the nice Koch brother."

Anyway, here's the story of the sentencing from The New York Times. What say you? Does the punishment fit the crime?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/nyreg ... il0=y&_r=0
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Rudy Kurniawan gets 10 year sentence

by Jenise » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:03 pm

String him up! I'm convinced that I was a buyer--one bottle only, but an '86 Petrus with which to celebrate our wedding anniversary that tasted like an entry level Clos du Val (who make good wine, but still.) We couldn't believe how ordinary it was. Timing was right and everything.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:48 am

No worries, Jenise! You most likely had a bottle in perfect shape: the 86 Pétrus should clearly have been declassified. At our state monopoly it sold for less than 100 USD in 1993, and even at that price it was only worth it for the label. At a blind tasting I mistook it for an 1984 Pomerol...

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:35 am

I still marvel at some of the really high end tasting groups (especially one in NYC) that were deeply in bed with John Kapon and so Rudi, who still claim they have never had a faked wine. They defend to the point of anger their experiences with "pristine" bottles of DRC this and Roumier that, to the point that it is clear it's just a smoke screen for expensive embarassment.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:27 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I still marvel at some of the really high end tasting groups (especially one in NYC) that were deeply in bed with John Kapon and so Rudi ...

Didn't Burghound also buy some of his wine?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:53 am

Don't know if he bought them. Pretty sure he tasted a bunch though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Fredrik L wrote:No worries, Jenise! You most likely had a bottle in perfect shape: the 86 Pétrus should clearly have been declassified. At our state monopoly it sold for less than 100 USD in 1993, and even at that price it was only worth it for the label. At a blind tasting I mistook it for an 1984 Pomerol...

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L

Oh, I know that about the 86 Petrus. But still, I drink a lot of aged Bordeaux and this didn't even taste like a 20 year old OR a Bordeaux.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:47 pm

I wonder how much time he'll actually do, what he'll do upon release, and if he'll ever come clean about the whole operation.

But it does not affect me too closely as I drink in different waters.

(Perhaps the next big counterfeiter will screw us with JJ Prum, Eric Texier, and ESJ. Then I'll be a lot more involved!)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Rahsaan wrote:(Perhaps the next big counterfeiter will screw us with JJ Prum, Eric Texier, and ESJ. Then I'll be a lot more involved!)

No real profit margin there. Where is the business plan? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:(Perhaps the next big counterfeiter will screw us with JJ Prum, Eric Texier, and ESJ. Then I'll be a lot more involved!)

No real profit margin there. Where is the business plan? :mrgreen:

Depends on the cost of the materials. I think people make a fair profit margin with fraudulent cheap industrial wine, which no one is attentive to, and then pumped out through large volume (which of course doesn't apply to Texier and ESJ).
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:35 pm

I think the sentence thoroughly justified. However, over here in Europe, there are many crimes IMO equally or even more serious involving bodily harm up to death and/or stripping modest people of their life's savings, which are much more lightly punished. And sentences are very rarely fully served.

At least Kurniawan's victims are well heeled and have enough left to continue enjoying enviable life styles. Of course, loss of victims' amour propre from being taken in is no doubt an important factor. Also there are number of well known critics who were also fooled and should be feeling a lot of embarrassment.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Tim York wrote:over here in Europe, there are many crimes IMO equally or even more serious involving bodily harm up to death and/or stripping modest people of their life's savings, which are much more lightly punished. And sentences are very rarely fully served.

Don't worry. We have the same problem here in the States!