The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Benefits of a cellar reorganization

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Benefits of a cellar reorganization

by Redwinger » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:22 pm

My cellar has never, ever had any sort of organization. Stuff thrown haphazardly onto the racks and diamond bins...find a spot and make them fit. When the racks are full just stack the cardboard cases anywhere. I pride myself on almost perfect recall, but this mess in the cellar combined with that dreaded age factor brought me to the conclusion that it was time to start sorting this stuff out. Well the new year seemed like a perfect time to start this project.

I only got about 10% of the way through the project today, but already uncovered 2 bottles of 1996 Jamet Cote Rote and a single botttle of 1996 Chave Hermitage that I had absolutely no idea I owned. Almost makes me want to get going on the other 90% down there, since acid driven Northern Rhones suit me just fine.

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Benefits of a cellar reorganization

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:44 pm

Redwinger wrote:My cellar has never, ever had any sort of organization. Stuff thrown haphazardly onto the racks and diamond bins...find a spot and make them fit. When the racks are full just stack the cardboard cases anywhere. I pride myself on almost perfect recall, but this mess in the cellar combined with that dreaded age factor brought me to the conclusion that it was time to start sorting this stuff out. Well the new year seemed like a perfect time to start this project.

Bill, are you sure you haven't been in my cellar? Except of course there are no Cote Roti , nor Hermitage.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:24 am

Ahh, the rewards of cleaning! If only gems like these could be found during vacumming the carpet or finding space in the garage...
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:38 am

Redwinger,

I'm with you.
No neat, computerized list for me.
The bottles are stacked haphazardly.
I just LOVE making discoveries too.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Last time I reorganized I couldnt find a couple of bottles that I thought I had!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:12 pm

Don't touch those Rhones for at least five years if not ten.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Don't touch those Rhones for at least five years if not ten.

No sweat. I'll probably "lose" them again anyhow.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:56 pm

I used to keep track pretty well, now things are hidden in wooden and cardboard boxes. I have wine scattered around my house (closet, garage, a small wine refrigerator, and a locker in Napa). That's ok now, as I hate overheated interiors during winter and I rarely run my heat, so my townhouse is reasonably close to correct wine storage temperature for the next couple of months. I gotta solve my problem before Spring, though. Maybe a serious wine cellar.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

by François Audouze » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:04 pm

I am in the same situation : I do not know what is in my cellar.
It has advantages and disadvantages.
One advantage is when people ask me if I could "exceptionnally" sell them a bottle of the year of a close parent. As they know that I have certainly a bottle, I am so happy to say : "I have certainly many, but I would be unable to find one".
The disadvantage is when I want for myself to find a specific bottle. Then there is a problem.
But anyway, I know many of them, so I am pleased to wander in my cellar and see some treasures that I will drink one day.
I prefer to have nice surprises as some of you mentionned.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered