Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Herbert Samuel

no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Herbert Samuel

by Mark Lieser » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 am

This side of the forum has been way too quiet, so...

After three tries, I finally got a reservation at the new, kosher Herbert Samuel in the Ritz Carlton in Herzliya. All I can say is that this establishment - in my opinion - has to be listed in the group of best kosher restaurants in Israel. We had a sort of tasting menu, so got to try quite a few dishes. Not a disappointment in the bunch. And an excellent wine list. Decidedly not cheap. But an outstanding night out.

Mark
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

Re: Herbert Samuel

by Yossie Horwitz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Agreed. Definitely the best in Israel (although I haven't made it to Blue Sky yet) and certainly the best service at any kosher eatery in the world. I ate there a few weeks after it opened with Gabriel and Raccah - simply amazing with a wine list to match.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 am

'Al Hashulchan' had a comparison of the kosher Herbert Samuel and Blue Sky and concluded that the food at Blue Sky was more interesting. I would be interested in hearing more about both places if anyone has been there. For example, what was on your tasting menu? We are thinking of taking a large group out in a few months time and would like to get an idea of what is on offer first.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:35 am

Indeed awesome restaurant. David and Yossie had gnocchi which were good though not so memorable, I've had better. My beef wellington was incredible and so were the foie gras and dessert. Service was by far the very best I've ever experienced in Israel at any hotel or restaurant, lived up to the Ritz-Carlton's standards. The wine list is excellent and as our waiter informed us so, almost any wine on the list can be ordered by the glass and thus each of us three enjoyed a glass of 2012 Flam Blanc with the first course, followed by a glass of 2011 Tzora Shoresh with the main course and, cherry on top, a bottle of 2005 Yarden Noble Semillon Botrytis with dessert. Certainly the most expensive meal I've ever paid for in an israeli restaurant but also one of the best.

Mark, one remark regarding your efforts in getting a reservation at the restaurant and an advice worthy of taking into account for anyone reading this. All Visa Signature, Diners Platinum, American Express Gold/Platinum/Black-Centurion and Chase Sapphire cardholders enjoy a free 24/7 concierge service that usually take care of restaurants, hotels, flights, shows reservations and tickets quickly and efficiently with no extra charges. I myself tried to book a table at Herbert Samuel more than 1 week in advance (never did that so early before) and couldn't get a hold of the restaurant despite 3 or 4 attempts (that btw is a serious service issue). So we simply called Amex Concierge and within the following 5 minutes the reservation had been made and a written confirmation sent by email was received.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Josh Kramer

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

by Josh Kramer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:24 pm

went to both Herbert Samuel and Blue Sky this past week. Both incredible both in a culinary sense and in terms of service and atmosphere. I'd say that Blue Sky you probably need to order a fair bit to leave full - portions are not huge - but every detail seems thought out, and a delight to the senses. Great wine list and wines by the glass available. Herbert Samuel - wine list fantastic and you can peruse the full list on a tablet screen.

In short - don't miss these if you have a chance to head over during you Israel trip.
no avatar
User

Anthony Silverbrow

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm

by Anthony Silverbrow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:19 am

I didn't make it to Herbert Samuel unfortunately, but was staying at the Carlton and went to Blue Sky. As someone who is happy to eat fish in non-kosher restaurants, I tend to steer clear of of kosher milky places. I also tend to gorge on meat in Israel, so was disappointed to hear we were booked into a kosher fish restaurant.

My prejudices were quickly blown away with the meal, it was delicious and reminded that kashrut shouldn't be a limitation for good milky food - even though it often seems to be.

Has anyone been to Lumina at the Carlton? It opened a week or two before we arrived and we didn't have the chance to eat there - the menu looked great though.