The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Cayuse Bionic Frog

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 2002 Cayuse Bionic Frog

by Sam Platt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am

2002 Cayuse Bionic Frog

We were gifted this bottle for our 25th anniversary a few years ago. We had been anxiously waiting for an occasion to taste the BF with the couple who gave it to us. Unable to find a suitable occasion we simply booked ourselves into a nice hotel and shared the BF along with other wines last Saturday night.

Decanted about 90 minutes before tasting.

Color: Opaque dark purple.

Nose: Raw meat. A bit of black pepper. One of our party picked up some cherry notes that were not obvious to me. The meat note grew more intense as the wine opened up in the decanter.

Taste: Mouth feel was liquid silk – “This wine has been buffed to the point that you should be able to see your reflection in it.” Rib-eye steak, marinated in teriyaki and served rare. After a few hours in the decanter the wine took on more of a smoked meat note which seemed less complex that the initially grilled meat flavors. The extended finish was hard to put my finger on, but it seemed almost chocolate like. Others detected more of a beef broth note.

This was a very interesting wine and my first experience with the Bionic Frog. I have been trying to get on their mailing list for three years with no luck to date.

Side note: Cayuse opened up the mailing list for their new Horse Power Winery. They began taking requests for an allocation first come, first served at 9:00 am EST on a specific date. I had logged in and had my info entered and request submitted at 9:00:41 am. I was a shoe in! My bubble was burst when I received an email a few hours later informing that all of the wine had been allocated before my request was received. How that is possible I do not know. Oh well, patience is a virtue.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2002 Cayuse Bionic Frog

by Jenise » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:02 am

Sam, lucky you! I have yet to taste a Frog. (That sounds weird, huh.) Btw, a friend of mine who works for a large distributor had a field trip to Cayuse recently in which they tasted pretty much everything Christophe makes, and two bottles of each--one opened that morning and one opened just before they arrived late in the afternoon, which is fairly interesting since the distributors don't really get any wine to sell. Somebody up the line is pretty friendly with Christophe apparently. Anyway, my friend, Gabe, is not really a fan of new world wines in general, but the Cayuses blew him away and I was pretty impressed at the extent to which that happened--it's something along the lines of a miracle for him to come back with that kind of glow. They had actually planned on partying into the evening with Christophe and the well-connected upline had brought a bunch of old burgs etc along for just that purpose, which under normal circumstances would have worked, but apparently Christophe is totally smitten with the horses involved in this new project and preferred to be with the animals than drink burgundy! Gabe said the Horsepower vineyard is so closely planted that he, a tall and lanky kind of guy, barely fit between the rows.

Happy anniversary!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: 2002 Cayuse Bionic Frog

by Jim Grow » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Nice note Sam. I have been reading about and yearning a taste of the biotic frog ever since RMP started to review it. You guys must have married at 15 for this to be your 25th. Even then you both look like you are 30. Sorry you couldn't be at MoCool for Sat. Hope to see you both next year. Jim Grow