The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for August: Whites of the Med, Plus

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Wine Focus for August: Whites of the Med, Plus

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:31 am

Thanks Tim, I should perhaps add I did not find any tropical fruit flavors here but that seems obvious from my note.
BTW, I am quite a fan of the Arinto/Chardonnay blend one might find on the shelf.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:56 pm

2012 Terredora DiPaolo Loggia della Serra Greco di Tufo, estate bottled. 13.5% abv. Shows viscosity. Fizzy when poured. Deeper golden color than most young Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc; clarity. Suggestion of green herbs and celery notes on the nose and palate. Nice acidity. A hint of Sauvignon Blanc in the grapefruit and gooseberry notes. This was a nice pairing with fried popcorn shrimp and strips of yellow bell pepper, baby carrots, and celery in a tangy dip perked up with grated Parmesan cheese. I would consider buying this again to pair with shellfish or other seafood. I paid $18 and prices tend to run higher in NC than in some locations.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:12 pm

2013 Fondo Antico S.R.L. I Versi Bianco, Terre Siciliane ($9.99 U.S. Belfast (ME) Coop, Alcohol level: 12%.) This wine is made from 55% Grillo, 30% Inzonia, and 15% Grecanico grapes.

This delightful Sicilian white has a bright lemon-yellow color; and gives lime citrus and peach flavors in the nose and upfront. On the middle you can find more fruit, and zesty mineral and almond notes, with medium body and balancing acidity. The wine has a nice lingering finish.

Believe it or not it matched splendidly with boneless pork chops with Pensey’s Pork Chop Seasoning, grilled over charcoal and hickory chips; and eggplant salad.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:49 pm

I find that pork loin/cutlet/tenderloin can go well with a number of whites so nice one Carl.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:43 pm

We had this wine again last night at our neighbours' and once again I was impressed by its refreshing yet Mediterranean character. I can't find any trace of having posted about it here. It could equally grace the Value sticky thread.

2012 Terrazza d'Isula Vin de Pays de l'Île de Beauté - France, Corsica, Vin de Pays de l'Île de Beauté (7/25/2014)
A simple wine (a Vermerntino/Chardonnay blend) but ideal to accompany a salade niçoise and giant gambas on a sunny evening. Pale coloured, medium/light bodied, bone dry and very refreshing with a nice squirt of citrus acidity to complement some Mediterranean warmth and herbal aromas. I don't know its price because it was a gift but I guess c€6 and worth buying more while the warm weather lasts. Good+.

Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Drank this the last days of August but didn't get it posted.
2013 SANROCHETTO VERDICCHIO DEI CASTELLI DI JESU CLASSICO, D.O.C., MARCHE, ITALY
Imported by Saranty Imports, White Plains, NY. 12.5% abv. Synthetic cork.
Quite pale with good clarity. Citrusy acid that encourages further sipping. The flavor seems to marry citrus fruit with green herbs. Quite pleasant as a seafood foil.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:01 am

This one is not at all Mediterranean in character but probably came from a lot closer to the Med as the crow flies than, say, the Portuguese wines which have graced this thread.

2012 Château Jolys Jurançon Sec J de Jolys - France, Southwest France, Jurançon Sec (9/8/2014)
I have an affection for this estate because its founder Pierre-Yves Latrille and his charming daughter Marion were regular visitors to a wine merchant near Brussels when I lived there. Since then I have learned that a new generation has taken over and that helps me to admit that, apart from top cuvée Épiphanie, named after its harvest date, the rest of the line-up does not have the complexity and class of Jurançon from Larredya, Lapeyre or Charles Hours. That said this very dry and racy wine impressed at first by its juicy citrus fruit, minerals and crisp acidity with a squirt of honey. Second impressions revealed a rawness on the finish which was shorter than ideal. Nevertheless, a good pairing for a dish of seafood and pasta.
Posted from CellarTracker

The varietal composition is 40% Gros and 60% Petit Manseng.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Very nice Tim, seem to have mislaid some Jurancon notes here but meanwhile here is a note from last year as I am just about to open bottle #2>

Alvarinho along with Muscadet and Picpoul, will always appeal to those that prefer a dryer style of white wine (and who love acidity!!).

TN: 2012 Quinta da Lixa Alvarinho Vinho Verde Pouco Comun, Minho Portugal.

Just released here in Alberta (found an `11 quite flawed), $22 Cdn, good natural cork, 12.5% alc, www.quintadalixa.pt

Medium straw color, no green. On the nose typical mineral tones with floral and peach in the background, "lime" from across the table. Very fresh aromatics here and quite appealing.
Initial entry thought is dry, big acidity, lengthy finish. More powerful wine than a pure loureiro I sampled a while back. Mineral tones here, no spritz, very prominent acidity, "has a sauv blanc feel about it". Quite complex but seem to recollect that QdLixa is not recognised as one of the top VV producers?
*****Quinta do Ameal is #1 in my book!
Previous