The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Leonetti Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 2004 Leonetti Merlot

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:57 am

2004 Leonetti Merlot (Columbia Valley) – when I visited a friend to try and solve an equipment problem with my stereo (he creates high end home theatre systems) he offered me a glass of wine. From the kitchen I heard “I have this bottle a client gave me – Leonetti Merlot – is it any good?”

Upon suitable assurances from me, the cork was duly pulled and the wine allowed to show its stuff. I usually keep my Leonettis much longer than this, so it was interesting for me as well.

Huge chocolate in the nose along with red fruit, and quite full and smooth in the mouth, with a markedly smooth finish, the tannins being present but obviously having signed a non-aggression treaty with the fruit, something that surprised me at this very young age.

Very impressive. Can others who routinely put their Leonetti Merlots to the sword, or rather screw at such young ages tell me if this is par for the course these days? My recollection from others tasted young (1990s vintages) was that the tannins were firmer than this.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2004 Leonetti Merlot

by Jenise » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:10 am

Not sure which vintage we had, but it would have been whatever was currently on retail shelves at the time, so prolly 01 or 02: a bottle two years ago was solidly tannic and undrinkable over the course of an evening. No evidence of early drinkability here!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov