The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '96 Angelo Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '96 Angelo Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:52 am

1996 Angelo Sassetti, Pertimali, Brunello di Montalcino. It cost $28 and the alcohol level was 13%. When we bought this one back in ’02, the retailer told us it was “ready.” Not believing that was true for a six year old Brunello (even a $28 one) we routinely scheduled it for 2011. Then we started to see it offered in restaurants by the bottle and by the glass, and wine stewards were saying it was drinking nicely. So we dropped the schedule by five years to 2006. Well we opened it on 1/1/07!

Fantastic! We decanted it carefully, and all the junk stayed in the bottle. It gave restrained black fruit to the nose, but it was more pronounced on the tongue tip along with some chocolate, tobacco, herbs. A memorable elixir including of all the above and some toasty oak crossed our palates, the finish truly lingered. I think it was fully aged out, and caught it just in time.

Matched it with grillpanned rib steak seasoned with EVOO and Morton Rub, roasted potatoes, and salad. Mucho, mucho grande’!
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: '96 Angelo Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Carl--
Funny thing: In my market I see (and have bought, and have enjoyed) a BdM under the "Vasco Sassetti" label with pretty much the same profile--inexpensive for a BdM, early drinking for a BdM. I had the '98 a few months ago, the 2000 just last week, and am sitting on a '99. All have been around $30. I wonder if there's a connection between Vasco and Angelo. Who imports yours? Is it by chance "An Alfio Moriconi Selection"?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: '96 Angelo Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:10 pm

I thought they were different, and after retrieving the bottle and scraping the goose greese off of it, confirmed it. The importer is Tricana Inc, Plainview, NY; and it is an EugenioSpinozzi Selection. Don't know if the Sassetties are related or not.