The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2000 Schramsberg; 2001 Bois de Boursan CdP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Fitzsimmons

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

Vienna, Virginia

TN: 2000 Schramsberg; 2001 Bois de Boursan CdP

by Ian Fitzsimmons » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:59 pm

2000 Schramsberg Blanc de Blanc

From Magnum. Pale yellow in the glass with a refined, toasty brioche aroma, this wine delivered very clean, natural flavors of lemon-accented biscuit and brioche on a tide of moussy foam. It lacked the power and complexity of some vintage Champagnes I’ve tasted, but what this wine did, it did very well. The elegance of its pure, sweet fruit reminded me of a medieval soprano church solo. My guess is that this would improve for a few more years.

This went well with sushi and scallops broiled in proscuitto. About $50 at a local retailer.

2001 Bois de Boursan Chateauneuf de Pape

Decanted about half an hour. Dark red, nose of garrigue, smoke and cherries. Flavors to match, slight early hardness and acid bite smoothing with additional time to make a pleasing round mouthful. Medium-bodied with some tannins on the moderate finish, though not unpleasant. I would grade this a solid B, a bit below St. Cosme Gigondas, which has become something a of a S. Rhone benchmark for me.

This seems pretty ready to me – I’d be interested in whether more experienced CDP tasters expect this to improve. Not a natural with roast chicken – needs some mellow red meat. $19-21 pre-release at McArthurs in WDC.
Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: 2000 Schramsberg; 2001 Bois de Boursan CdP

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Ian you are welcome to the forum! Lots of advice here and great folks.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:2000 Schramsberg Blanc de Blanc

2001 Bois de Boursan Chateauneuf de Pape

Decanted about half an hour. Dark red, nose of garrigue, smoke and cherries. Flavors to match, slight early hardness and acid bite smoothing with additional time to make a pleasing round mouthful. Medium-bodied with some tannins on the moderate finish, though not unpleasant. I would grade this a solid B, a bit below St. Cosme Gigondas, which has become something a of a S. Rhone benchmark for me.

This seems pretty ready to me – I’d be interested in whether more experienced CDP tasters expect this to improve. Not a natural with roast chicken – needs some mellow red meat. $19-21 pre-release at McArthurs in WDC.

Ian,
I certainly wouldn't hold myself out as a Boursan expert, although I like this producer a bunch. Here is a note I posted in April 2006 on the 2001 Boursan.

I suspect, based upon your notes and my experience, that this wine is shut down at the moment. My instincts tell me that it will be glorious in another 5 years of so, but that is just my WAG.
All FWIW,
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ian Fitzsimmons

Rank

Wine geek

Vienna, Virginia

by Ian Fitzsimmons » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:11 pm

Bob:

Thanks. Actually, I'm an old member, but stopped participating for a while when the forum moved to Netscape. It's nice to be back.

Ian
Ian
no avatar
User

Ian Fitzsimmons

Rank

Wine geek

Vienna, Virginia

by Ian Fitzsimmons » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:13 pm

Ian,
I certainly wouldn't hold myself out as a Boursan expert, although I like this producer a bunch. Here is a note I posted in April 2006 on the 2001 Boursan.

I suspect, based upon your notes and my experience, that this wine is shut down at the moment. My instincts tell me that it will be glorious in another 5 years of so, but that is just my WAG.
All FWIW,
Bill[/quote]

Bill:

Thanks for replying. It's awfully good now for a closed-down wine. If I open another one soon, I will try to decant it longer to see what happens.

Ian
Ian