Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Suggestions for leftover lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Suggestions for leftover lamb

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:27 pm

So, I have this big chunk of marinated, grilled, butterflied lamb leg left over. Tonight will be the second night eating it as cooked, but now I want to do something different with it. Any suggestions?
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Suggestions for leftover lamb

by ChefCarey » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:39 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:So, I have this big chunk of marinated, grilled, butterflied lamb leg left over. Tonight will be the second night eating it as cooked, but now I want to do something different with it. Any suggestions?

Scotch Broth or lamb hash.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:So, I have this big chunk of marinated, grilled, butterflied lamb leg left over. Tonight will be the second night eating it as cooked, but now I want to do something different with it. Any suggestions?

Lamb curry! Very loose recipe, but it goes something like this: Cut up lots of onions, more than you think makes sense - maybe two big ones. Cook it with lots of chopped garlic in some vegetable oil until it's translucent and starting to brown. Cut the leftover lamb into bite-size chunks. Put them in and toss with the onions and garlic until they're hot and browning. Put in curry powder to taste (a good imported Indian curry powder is MUCH better than McCormack's or Spice Islands) and maybe some cumin and black pepper. Cayenne, too, if you like it hot. Chop up and put in some green chilies if you've got 'em, not if you don't. When it's good and hot, put in two dollops of yogurt and about a tablespoon of tomato paste. Stir, reduce heat. let it simmer until the flavors come together - 5 or 10 minutes is plenty. Check seasonings and serve with lots of basmati rice.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Yum, thank you Robin and others, this chunk will make two more meals.
Great ideas!
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Lamb Salad

by Jim Cassidy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:51 am

Very finely cubed lamb with a sauce of mayo, finely chopped onion and celery, a couple drops of apple cider vinegar, pepper, salt, and water to thin it out.

This was my mother's leftover lamb dish. I loved it, but hated the original roast leg of lamb. Leftover gravey was also great, on egg noodles.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Lamb Curry

by Bernard Roth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:53 am

Yeah, make the curry.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:41 pm

You could do what we did:

Leave the last 3/4 pound on the counter during dinner.

Turn back on dogs.

Realize too late that dogs ate what was going to be tomorrow night's curry.

But, I would recommend the curry recipe instead.
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:02 pm

You don't know our dogs. That would not be a very effective deterrent :(
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:13 pm

This is one I've done a number of times, usually with the leftover from roast leg of lamb.

- chop or break the lamb by hand into small bite size pieces

- make a simple mix of honey and dried mint (I use Australian native mint). Enough to easily cover the lamb chunks.

- mix the lamb into the honey/mint

- grill until the lamb has started to get crispy (to be honest, there's a fair range of cooking times you can use - depending on mood, as just reheating can be fine)

- Serve with a simple salad, rice, or on doorstop sandwiches

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:28 pm

My favorite way to use up leftover leg of lamb is to make homemade Gyro sandwiches.

Make some tzatzik dressing -- yogurt, garlic, chopped cucumber, salt.

Then saute in olive oil, the sliced lamb that has been generously sprinkled with kosher salt and black pepper.

Slice cucumbers, onions and good tomatoes.

In a hot pan coated with olive oil, very lightly toast one side of good Greek pita bread until the other side is warm and soft.

Put some lamb, the veggies, and a little dressing on the toasted side of bread. Wrap it all up in a sheet of waxed or parchment paper. Enjoy!

Yum. I'm going to go buy a fresh lamb leg so I can make these leftovers!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:41 pm

I made the lamb curry today Robin, it is wonderful. Serving over Jasmine rice with a spinach salad. Yum! Thanks for the idea. The hash in another suggestion was a thought too, as I love hash. Will try that one another time.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:07 pm

Karen, I, too liked Robin's idea of a lamb curry - you see, I often cook a mutton curry stew at home and many of the ingredients are along the same lines. I fully agree with putting LOTS of onions in - when you cook them in the oil, they will soften and you get the onion flavour in the curry but no harshness. What I do, however, is a bit different. Given the fact that I usually buy a mutton leg for this, I de-fat the meat and cut it into cubes; I then prepare a masala and rub each cube in the spice mix. I then brown the meat in a skillet in a bit of olive oil, and meanwhile let the onions sweat in the pot that I'll eventually transfer the meat to. Once all the meat has been browned, I add it to the onions (which should be translucent, not browned according to my method) and pour the right amount of vegetable broth over the meat and onions, as the meat will cook in this broth (which I prepare separately in advance). I don't add cayenne, since one large jalapeño pepper, seeds and all, adds just the right amount of heat. About 20 minutes before serving I add chopped potatoes and string beans, or sometimes chopped yam. I don't add any yogurt to my curry, but I'm sure that would make a nice twist. Sometimes I put the bones in during the cooking phase, but remove them before serving (the marrow makes for a great chef's treat :) ).
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I made the lamb curry today Robin, it is wonderful.

Glad you liked it, Karen! I always worry when I post recipes that someone will write, I made your {fill in the blank} today and it was godawful." :oops:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Glad you liked it, Karen! I always worry when I post recipes that someone will write back, "I made your {fill in the blank} today and it was godawful." :oops:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:24 am

Robin Garr wrote:

Glad you liked it, Karen! I always worry when I post recipes that someone will write, I made your {fill in the blank} today and it was godawful." :oops:

Robin,

I've yet to see any recipe you posted where someone would write that.

I was going to suggest a lamb curry for the leftovers, but you beat me to it, and I couldn't really think of anything to improve on what you'd already said on the subject.

-Paul W.