Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Does anyone use Lodge enameled cast iron cookware?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Does anyone use Lodge enameled cast iron cookware?

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Hey all, just wondering if anyone out there uses Lodge enameled cast iron cookware at home. I would love to get one of their large Dutch ovens, as they are about 1/3 of the price of Le Creuset. Can anyone speak to these from experience?
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Does anyone use Lodge enameled cast iron cookware?

by Fred Sipe » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:09 pm

I've got unenameled Lodge and think it's great.

I bought an oval enameled Dutch oven from Ikea and it is awesome in my book. Very reasonable priced and although the interior looks almost like raw cast iron it has some kind of coating which is really nice.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Not from Lodge, but we still have a few pieces of enameled cast iron from Denmark that we purchased from Sears many, many years ago. It has served us very well, and as stated has held up well. The few pieces that we've had to discard was due to the enamel chipping, and this was after many years of use.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm a big fan of Lodge's other stuff; I have a cast iron skilled and griddle/grill combo. I'm hoping that the quality is as consistent with their enameled products. If that is the case, why would anyone ever spend the money on Le Creuset? Their prices seem like robbery compared to what Lodge offers.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 am

As I remember, Tramontina is also highly regarded and received accolades from Consumer Reports.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:26 am

One excellent way to crowd-source consumer information is to look at the ratings and reviews on Amazon.com, which to its great credit doesn't censor or apparently curate individual reviews. On that basis, the reviews are very strongly positive, and "Just as good as Le Creuset for a fraction of the price" comes up over and over again.

Browse through tons of reviews on various products here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... +cast+iron
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:One excellent way to crowd-source consumer information is to look at the ratings and reviews on Amazon.com...

Oh, yes, the ones for homogenized milk and ice cube trays are particularly good sources... of laughs.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:One excellent way to crowd-source consumer information is to look at the ratings and reviews on Amazon.com...

Oh, yes, the ones for homogenized milk and ice cube trays are particularly good sources... of laughs.

The ones that have gone comedy-viral are hilarious. Check out sugar-free gummi bears. :mrgreen:

I'll still stand on my comment, though. Most of the time, Amazon reviews can be an excellent way to crowd-source uncensored opinions on consumer products, and it's not that hard to discard the obviously flaky ones.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Check out sugar-free gummi bears. :mrgreen:

Also the book "Avoiding Large Ships."
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:29 pm

I have an enameled cast iron Dutch oven (5 qt?) from Lodge and love it.
We got it as a gift about 10-11 years ago.

It works well for browning, retains heat nicely, and cleans up really well.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Nice, thanks all for the advice! I'll have to report back once I get one and can put it to the test.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:11 am

I have a Lodge enameled 7.5 quart that I bought 10 years ago and like it very much.

Drew
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 02, 2014 12:45 am

Robin Garr wrote:

Ho, ho, ho, I just found a goodie: the Playmobil Security Check Point
http://www.amazon.com/PLAYMOBIL%C2%AE-36138-Playmobil-Security-Check/dp/B0002CYTL2/ref=cm_rdp_product?tag=%20ohmy0c-20
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri May 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Ho, ho, ho, I just found a goodie: the Playmobil Security Check Point
http://www.amazon.com/PLAYMOBIL%C2%AE-36138-Playmobil-Security-Check/dp/B0002CYTL2/ref=cm_rdp_product?tag=%20ohmy0c-20

That is awesome!

The jokes just write themselves.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun May 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Joy,

If buying American is important (it is to me) the Lodge is your only choice. Lodge enameled is made in China, but what isn't these days. However Lodge does employee a third party company to handle their quality control in China. If I were buying, Lodge is what I would buy. and Katom is where I would buy it.

http://www.katom.com/261-EC4D43.html
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Thought I would report back on this, as I got the 6 quart enameled dutch oven from Lodge last month for my birthday. So far, I am enjoying it, although I am still getting the hang of it compared to my stainless steel and anodized aluminum stock pots. I have to remember that it is cast iron underneath, as once it is heated, it can get out of control fast. I learned the hard way by burning a chopped onion that I was trying to sweat by stepping away from the stove for a minute (which usually isn't a problem in my other pot).

The one thing I wasn't expecting was not to be able to use it on high heat (per the instruction manual). Apparently the enamel coating is fragile all around (is this true also with Le Creuset?). If I need to boil liquid quickly, I will have to still grab my steel or aluminum pots for this.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Joy, I don't think the thing about high heat is so much of a problem as it is just not needed. Cast iron distributes heat better than any other pot/pan I have ever used. I don't have an enameled dutch oven, but that probably is something I need to buy. Cast iron can be a problem when cooking something that is high acid, (such as tomato based sauces) the acid can eat the seasoning out of the pot. I think the enamel would solve that problem. I would also be careful to use plastic or wooden utensils for stirring as metal might scratch the enamel. I have uncoated cast iron skillets that are as slick as a Teflon pan. a fried egg will slide around on the iron and never sticks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Bob! Great to hear from you. It has been years. Are you still golfing and drinking those great Ken Wright bottles of Pinot Noir?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi Dave! It has been a while hasn't it? I have been away from this forum as well as lots of others. I just do't seem to find a lot of time for the computer anymore. My wife has some health problems that take up a LOT of my time. (pm or email me and I'll discuss that with you privately). I have been online here a little bit more these past few months and have noticed that you too are back and enjoying yourself. About golf, I haven't played since 2010 (again because of her health issues). I miss golf, but I hope to get back in the spring, at least a little bit. My granddaughters want me too so they can go with me. (speaking of granddaughters, someday you will know that they rock! Thanks for the shout out!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Joy, I don't think the thing about high heat is so much of a problem as it is just not needed. Cast iron distributes heat better than any other pot/pan I have ever used. I don't have an enameled dutch oven, but that probably is something I need to buy. Cast iron can be a problem when cooking something that is high acid, (such as tomato based sauces) the acid can eat the seasoning out of the pot. I think the enamel would solve that problem. I would also be careful to use plastic or wooden utensils for stirring as metal might scratch the enamel. I have uncoated cast iron skillets that are as slick as a Teflon pan. a fried egg will slide around on the iron and never sticks.

I am used to my uncoated cast iron skillet that I have had for several years - I use that on high heat to sear meat and sauté vegetables. I use my other stock pot/dutch oven type pans to make soups and stews, so I guess high heat isn't really needed. I'm just not as used to using cast iron with heat moderation! :D Thanks for the warning about utensils scratching the enamel - I did read that in the instructions also. My wooden spoons will get good rotation!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:58 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Hi Dave! It has been a while hasn't it? I have been away from this forum as well as lots of others. I just do't seem to find a lot of time for the computer anymore. My wife has some health problems that take up a LOT of my time. (pm or email me and I'll discuss that with you privately). I have been online here a little bit more these past few months and have noticed that you too are back and enjoying yourself. About golf, I haven't played since 2010 (again because of her health issues). I miss golf, but I hope to get back in the spring, at least a little bit. My granddaughters want me too so they can go with me. (speaking of granddaughters, someday you will know that they rock! Thanks for the shout out!

Oh wow, Bob. I am so sorry to hear about your wife. I will send you a PM rather than e-mail via this site because I doubt the e-mail address linked to my Wine Lovers Page account still exists and I do not know how to update it.

Cheers, it is great to hear from you Bob!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 pm

Dave R wrote:I doubt the e-mail address linked to my Wine Lovers Page account still exists and I do not know how to update it.!

Shoot me a private message with the new address, and I'll update it for you if you like. 8)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:16 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:Apparently the enamel coating is fragile all around (is this true also with Le Creuset?).

Yes. The enamel will craze if you overdo the heat. Which is not much of a problem but, I suppose, why court trouble?