The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I`m still hooked on Muscadet!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: I`m still hooked on Muscadet!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `05 Muscadet Grand Fief de la Cormeraie, Chereau-Gunther.

Yup, even more hooked on Muscadet!! This wine was consumed with herbed garlic shrimp in lemon parsley butter. $26 Cdn, good natural cork, 12% alc.
It is hard to keep track of the Chereau-Carre family out there in the Loire, who has a family tree?!!

Color. Pale hue, light straw, oh so clear.

Nose. This was pretty closed up, but managed to find some citrus lime fruit, minerals, "wet stones" from across the table". Apple on day 2.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry was dryish, not too austere a style, good weight, creamy. There was a nice structure to this wine, fresh and vibrant. Fellow tasters wondered about "enough acidity?" and I wonder too. I am generally used to more saline character.
Tad riper on day 2, best to serve at cellar temperature I think. Nice wine here.

Only too happy to post on another C-C`05 I just tasted......>

WTN: `05 Chateau du Coing de Saint Fiacre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Chereau-Gunther.

Pale medium lemon yellow. Leesy nose still, citrus, wet stones, still fresh with apple and floral notes. Initial entry is off-dry, minerally very good fruit expression. Hint of honeysuckle is nice as this shows some age eh. Great acidity still, white stone-fruit. Lively finish here, quite complex and terrific mouthfeel. Envious of those on east coast who seem to have good access to aged Muscadet!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Thread resurrection time again forumites! Just about to open my last bottle of the `07 Luneau-Papin Domaine Pierre de la Grange. Have to peel the shrimp first however!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:13 pm

WTN: 2007 Domaine Pierre de la Grange (Luneau-Papin) Muscadet de Sevre-et Maine Sur Lie.

Think my third and last bottle, $22 Cdn from Metrovino Calgary. Fruit is from 35 year old vines, small plots, schistous soils.

Color. Has not changed much, light pale lemon, no green.

Nose. Very aromatic, citrus, slatey, grass, apple.

Palate. Initial entry thought is still good, steely with mineral tones. Dry, no spritz or bitterness. The acidity is right up there but has softened up on the finish. Some crab apple here, lime, "not as zippy as previous bottle" from across the table.
Day 2 showed more bite on the finish but overall just what I expected.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Here is a very interesting article from Chris Kissick on a food/wine match up....shrimp and an `03 Muscadet from Luneau-Papin. A must-read for all true Loire-heads!

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/blog/index ... -add-salt/
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:
Tim York wrote:
I'm very envious, Bob. I don't know where to find mature Muscadet like that over here.

Rahsaan told me of a shop in London with a good collection of older Muscadet, which he backed up with a bottle of '97 Luneau-Papin Le L d'Or in 2006. If he reads this, perhaps he can recall the name of the shop.

Mark Lipton

RSJ (http://www.rsj.uk.com/rsjretailintro.htm). As it happens, I was in London last week and tried to buy some wine from them but the guy who manages the retail end (it's a restaurant) was on holiday so I had to look elsewhere.

This restaurant is associated with Jim Budd, I've yet to make it there.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:10 am

Just a brief reminder this thread started off in 2006 with the `04 Chereau-Carre Muscadet Ch. l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee. I have posted on other vintages and here is my note on the `07 opened last night!

WTN: 2007 Chereau-Carre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Chateau l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee.

Cellared three years, $18 Cdn, 12% alc, good natural cork. Clay, schist terroir and 40-year old vines.

Color is a deep lemon, no apparent gold as yet.
On the brilliant aromatic nose, I found citrus, mineral, smell of salty sea-shells. Big aromats for sure, even on day 2.
Initial mouthfeel entry is classic Moose! Great acidity, mineral as expected, citrus, dry, snappy. Apple, no spritz. "No ripeness as one might find in the fellow wine from Comte Leloup de Chasseloir" from across the table (looking at past notes). Lots of depth here still and nicely structured, plenty of interest. Held up really well on day two.

Went very well with chicken breast stuffed with a shrimp mousse.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:57 am

With this mouth-watering report as well as some from Chris, I feel that I'm missing out on something with Muscadet. I have none in my cellar at present and don't buy them very often because those easily available locally are not very inspiring. I need to search wider afield for some of these stellar estates.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Tim York wrote:With this mouth-watering report as well as some from Chris, I feel that I'm missing out on something with Muscadet. I have none in my cellar at present and don't buy them very often because those easily available locally are not very inspiring. I need to search wider afield for some of these stellar estates.

Tim,
Knowing what I do of your tastes, I'd strongly suggest that you find some of the top wines of Mark Ollivier (Dom. de la Pépière) such as his Clisson (né Granite de Clisson), Les Gras Moutons, Clos des Briords or Clos des Allees. They are all monumental wines (especially in 2009 and 2010) yet have a vividity and freshness to them that I am almost certain would capture your attention. I find a certain stylistic similarity to Chablis and I only recently learned that I'm not alone in this since Muscadet's rise to "fame" began in 1956 with a disastrous harvest in Chablis whereby Paris's bistros turned to Muscadet to fill the void.

Surely someone in Belgium must bring those wines in? Barring that, I hear the Pays Nantais is quite lovely this time of year! :D

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Well, lucky me. Found some `02 Chateau du Coing de St Fiacre today, Veronique Chereau-Gunther.

My note on the `05>

WTN: `05 Chateau du Coing de Saint Fiacre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Chereau-Gunther.

Pale medium lemon yellow. Leesy nose still, citrus, wet stones, still fresh with apple and floral notes. Initial entry is off-dry, minerally very good fruit expression. Hint of honeysuckle is nice as this shows some age eh. Great acidity still, white stone-fruit. Lively finish here, quite complex and terrific mouthfeel. Envious of those on east coast who seem to have good access to aged Muscadet!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 am

Tonite I opened the `02 Chateau de Coing de Ste Fiacre and really enjoyable after an hour in the glass. Light gold in color, good nose, mostly sea-shells. Still active on the palate with fair acidity, nice finish. No real sense it was past its peak.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 pm

no matter how much I dabble in Muscadet, I always seem to come back to Pepiere..Last night was no exception, 2009 Pepiere was delightful, minerality, salinity and this just the basic Pepiere..good stuff, year in, year out
Jon
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am

In my quest for becoming more hooked on Muscadet, I bought two bottles from Pépière. The first, the basic 2008, showed certain "off" notes. This one is more like it!!

Muscadet Sèvre et Maine sur Lie Les Gras Moutons 2009 - Domaine de la Pépière - Alc.12%.

Bracing bouquet like a sea breeze and palate like mountain spring water flavoured with some lively green fruit and suffused with grainy minerals, lively acidity and hints of salt on the finish. I was expecting even crisper acidity but this may be a function of vintage. It called out for oysters and perhaps a little more body and flesh was needed to be ideal with cod in a quite acidic sauce; 16/20++.

Very nice but this still does not wean me off my addiction to Chenin from more upstream along the Loire.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:56 am

Realised just how long it has been since I've had a Muscadet - yet it used to be a regular when I started with wine. It was the de-facto choice to go with fish/sea-food.

So had Domaine les Grands Presbyteres Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie 2010

which was light, crisp, pleasant and similar to Sauvignon blanc.

But, Bob, how come no-one else anywhere has planted this grape?

It is supposed to be cold-tolerant, thus ideal for Ontario I'd have thought.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 am

Peter,

I believe they are starting to dabble in Melon in Niagara. Here is one example from Malivoire:
http://www.malivoire.com/index.php?page ... oductID=98
This is one of my favorite Niagara producers, so I'd like to try this one. Pity I don't make it up that way much anymore.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:13 am

Gotta believe it!!

WTN: 2002 Domaine Haut-Bourg Origine, Cotes de Grandlieu.

I remember a very nice `01 from the Choblet. Here is the newest release after 10 years on the lees! Diam-type cork? 12% alc, $22 Cdn.

Medium lemon in color, no gold at all.
More floral and fruit than sea shells on the nose. Still very bright tones here and appealing with its vibrancy. "Quite peach forward' from across the table.
Entry is quite off-dry, orange and peach. Some very nice citrus and pineapple on mid-palate. Very good acidity, creamy, long appealing finish. No teeth-enamel removal here folks.
The minerality shows up better if served not too chilled. Nice with roasted pork tenderloin.

**** Day 2. Disaster as it fell apart overnight. Lack of depth, color was a brown/green, blah finish.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:01 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Tonite I opened the `02 Chateau de Coing de Ste Fiacre and really enjoyable after an hour in the glass. Light gold in color, good nose, mostly sea-shells. Still active on the palate with fair acidity, nice finish. No real sense it was past its peak.

The `12 vintage has arrived so will buy a couple of bottles asap!! Still fair price at $26 Cdn so no price increase in past few years.
Anyone here sampled any Loire whites of late?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 pm

I hear that the 2010 CUVEE COMTE DE SAINT HUBERT from same family is in the warehouse. Anyone know the track record of this cuvee?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Cross posted from the Wine Value sticky thread -

Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Clos du Poyet Vieilles Vignes 2012 - Domaine Pierre Luneau - Alc.12% - (<€5)

This is a very nice refreshing bone dry Muscadet with a good balance of mildly citrus fruit, stony minerals, lively but non-astringent acidity, some underlying roundness and saline backbone. I have had Muscadet with more sharply defined mineral character but this one is excellent value at its modest price (<€5) and I will buy more.

Where else other than Muscadet and Gros Plant can one find white wine with such a winning combination of crisp freshness, simple stylishness and friendly prices?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:12 pm

TN: 2010 Chateau de l`Oiseliniere Sur Lie, Domaine Verdier.

Not a very big name domaine, good natural cork, $20 Cdn, 12% alc.
Green apple on the nose, citrus and mineral tones too. Very dry entry , zippy mineral acidity. Citric finish, good length, nice typicity but just lacking in some palate-excitement. Still think Luneau-Papin and Chereau-Carre remain my go-to Muscadet!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:04 am

TN: 2010 Chereau-Carre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Cuvee des Ceps Centenaires Comte de Leloup de Chateau de Chasseloir.

Cellared 2 yrs, good nat cork, served well chilled, 12 % alc. Still have an `07 in the cellar, this was bottle #1 of 2. 100 year old vines, very well established family here.

Color is not at all developed, a light straw. Took a while to open up but not sure this was typical Musky that I have come to expect as it did not excite. Melon, lemon, minerals on the nose. Dry, still had some bracing acidity but do not think for the long haul as could use some more fruit. "Tad simple for me" from across the patio table. Storage conditions pretty good here, wonder whats up?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:50 am

A very big new winestore has opened on the southside with an amazing selection of wines and spirits. Yup, they even have some Muscadet including the 2013 Chereau-Carre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Chateau l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee. I have only seen the 2010 vintage around here so picked up a bottle for $22 Cdn. They also have some Chinon from Joguet!

** why is NY Finger Lakes not being stocked in this province :( ?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Not quite the real winter up here yet (shudder) but nice enough to open my 2nd Ramee!

TN: 2010 Chereau-Carre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Main Chateau l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee, Loire Valley.

Stunning, has held up so well. Lemony nose with some white fruit tones. The color is mid lemon I would say, very bright still.
Initial entry thought is wish I had more but then `13/`14 is in the cellar already..$22 Cdn. Quite tangy with saline tone, nice length and no decline over 3 days.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:28 am

Bob, I think that my Pépière Briords and Gras Mouton from 2014 will have the potential to develop that way and even further but I'm unlikely to keep my hands off them long enough to find out.

Same for Jo Landron's Les Houx, Haute Tradition and Le Fief de Breil which I tasted at the Salon last week.
Tim York
PreviousNext