The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

We've got threads! But (IMPORTANT) please read this all!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

We've got threads! But (IMPORTANT) please read this all!

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:23 am

When we opened this new forum, I promised you that we would look closely at the "threading modification (Thread Mod)" for PhpBB and install it once our gurus were reasonably certain that it could be done without introducing dangerous bugs.

I'm delighted to announce that - with the generous help of an anonymous friend of the semi-anonymous Forum Admin persona and many hours of pro bono work over the weekend, the Thread Mod is now installed.

In short, YOU'VE GOT THREADS!

Somewhere on your forum screen, depending on which "style" you chose in your Profiles, you should now see a button marked "THREADED." Click it, and you'll see the forum in threaded view. This button is a "toggle," meaning that once you've clicked TO the thread view, the button changes to read "FLAT." Click it again to go back to "flat" or non-threaded view. You can have it either way, so those who do NOT wish to have threading can simply ignore this entire discussion.

Now, a couple of important points:

* This system is, frankly, a little buggy. The Thread Mod is a sort of "unauthorized mod" in the open-source PhpBB community, not officially supported. It's new, and under development. It's specifically intended only for the "hioSilver" forum style, which is the common, generic PhpBB style - it's available to you in your Profile, but it is not this forum's default. The programmer has gone out of his way to make everything work with subMetal, the default style, but you may notice anomalies. If you're using one of the other styles, you may notice even more anomalies.

* I want to put this gently but firmly: The programmer has put in a huge amount of volunteer, unpaid time. He/she/it deserves our gratitude, but will not be receptive to programming suggestions or ideas or requests for tweaks. We have the threading mod, and that's great, but customizing is not going to be possible. Please don't be like the kid who gets a pony for Christmas but complains about what color it is. ;-)

* All this has been given to us for free, and that's a beautiful thing. At the same time, we have an unusual opportunity to "pay for it," and I hope you'll respond generously. Here's how: The Mystery Programmer doesn't want to be paid directly, but he does feel that it's important for the community to support the project, and he's come up with an intriguing proposal: We'll make donations to a list of qualified charities as a statement of support. That "pays" him to do the work, accomplishes some real good in society, and gives us all warm fuzzies.

We have opened an 'account' at the reputable charitable-giving portal http://www.JustGive.org for donations to a selected but extensive list of non-profit charities. To look over the list, click this link to go to it directly. If that doesn't work, click http://www.JustGive.org, then look near the bottom of the page in the yellow column at the left for
Charity Wish Lists
Find a Wish List

Enter "randolph r" and you'll see the list. See a charity that you like? Make a donation, using the JustGive.org secure shopping system. You'll accomplish a little good, and if you'll dig deep and help us come up with a substantial contribution from the forum community, the programmer will consider himself well and amply recompensed. (EDIT: He has already put in more than $1,000 worth of hourly work. We've raised a couple of hundred bucks for charities so far, but I'd really like to see us hit well into the four-figure range in our generosity.)

AFTERTHOUGHTS:
A few details to be aware of before you contribute through JustGive.org:

* You may choose to remain anonymous. You must give your name and address in the credit-card process, but listing your name or the amount given on the form that goes to the charity list holder is entirely optional.

* If you don't want the charitable organization(s) you choose to "spam" you, take care to UNCHECK the several "Give my address to ..." boxes and then click the UPDATE button to ensure that the recipient will not be given your name, postal address or E-mail.

* At the end of the process, JustGive.org asks if you'd care to donate a few bucks. You may do so, but be aware that they do take an automatic $5 (added to the total) anyway for handling the wish list. For the record, JustGive.org takes this flat $5, plus 3 percent of your gift, to cover its expenses. In our judgement, this is more than fair: Well over 90 percent of your gift (assuming that it's in a reasonable amount) goes straight to the charity of your choice.

Thoughts, comments? We'll be glad to discuss anything here except enhancement and customization requests. :)
Last edited by Robin Garr on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: We've got threads! But (IMPORTANT) please read this all

by Bob Ross » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:06 am

Robin,

I can't use matching funds through this system; and there are two charities new to us that we have been considering adding to our personal list. (We already support three of randoph r's choices -- an excellent list I must say).

If we can make donations directly to the two organizations, my former employer will match dollar for dollar.

Would you and randophl r accept confirmation of the donations when my company confirms the match?

Both donations can be made in his name at my end, if that makes this approach any more palatable. If so, please email his name to me.

Regards, Bob

PS: I hope threading achieves what you hope it will. B.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:12 am

Bob Ross wrote:PS: I hope threading achieves what you hope it will. B.

Bob, I'll get you an answer to your matching question. As for the above, I have no particular hopes, other than to keep my pledge to those who wanted threading. If they're happy (and no one else is unhappy), then I'm happy. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks for understanding. The matching funds process is actually quite smooth and easy for charities to use, and designed in part to prevent fraud.

Thanks for all your work in improving the software, and thanks also for putting together such a good list of organizations that deserve our support.

Regards, Bob

PS: I personally don't care about threading, but many people do, and I appreciate the effort both you and Robin have gone through to make the site more enjoyable for everyone. B.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:00 pm

Just tried out threaded mode. Lookin' good, Robin et al! Thanks for all the hard work to make the forum better.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

AW RIGHT !

by Bill Spencer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm delighted to announce that - with the generous help of an anonymous friend of the semi-anonymous Forum Admin persona and many hours of pro bono work over the weekend, the Thread Mod is now installed. In short, YOU'VE GOT THREADS! ... Thoughts, comments?

%^)

Thank you, Robin ! And I hope you will pass along my thanks to the other wonderful un-named people that made this possible !

And, yes, I will also be giving a donation as you/he/she/it suggested as a show of my gratitude ...

What a wonderful Monday this is ! "There's no place like home !"

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:22 pm

Robin, given all my complaining these last 6 months or so, this is getting better and better. Way to go!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: AW RIGHT !

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:Thank you, Robin ! And I hope you will pass along my thanks to the other wonderful un-named people that made this possible !

And, yes, I will also be giving a donation as you/he/she/it suggested as a show of my gratitude ...

What a wonderful Monday this is ! "There's no place like home !"

We knew you were gonna love it, Bill! :-D And thanks in advance for the donation. I can't think of a nicer way to "pay back" our thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:31 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:This is getting better and better. Way to go!

Glad you like it, Bob! And we're counting on a lot of needy causes enjoying our community thanks as a spinoff benefit ... check out the JustGive.org link and see if you can't find a way to express your thanks that feels right to you. I understand contributions are into the four-figure range already, but of course the more the forum can do, the more joint karma we'll imbibe. :)