The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Mas de Daumas Gassac Vin de Pays de l'Hérault

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2002 Mas de Daumas Gassac Vin de Pays de l'Hérault

by Paul B. » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:12 pm

Ever since seeing the inimitable Aimé Guibert in Mondovino I've wanted to try his wine. To my pleasant surprise the wine was easy to find at Vintages, so I set out to buy some. I opened a bottle this Easter weekend and enjoyed it greatly.

What's interesting is just how accessible and open the wine was given only an hour and a half of aeration in the decanter. Having read about the longevity of Daumas Gassac I was expecting a fierce, tannic red - yet this wine is anything but that. What I found was a supple red with impeccable balance.

13% alc. Beautiful translucent garnet colour with a ruby-jewel glint in reflected sunlight, showing excellent density and what appears to be an unfiltered wine (it's not hazy, but neither is it crystal-clear). Complex nose of very ripe strawberry fruit, a roasted note and a very slight overlay of Cabernet spice. On the palate, it's substantial but impeccably balanced and integrated; it gives the impression of having many years ahead of it but already being fully accessible. There is plenty of substance in the wine but no rough edges. There is a sense of purity. Full-flavoured and supple again on the mid-palate, with power - in a velvet glove. A remarkable Languedoc red - a standard-bearer that deserves distinction.
Last edited by Paul B. on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: 2002 Mas de Daumas Gassac Vin de Pays de l'Hérault

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:19 am

Paul B. wrote: Having read about the longevity of Daumas Gassac I was expecting a fierce, tannic red -

It was 02. The year of the floods.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: TN: 2002 Mas de Daumas Gassac Vin de Pays de l'Hérault

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:41 am

Rahsaan wrote:It was 02. The year of the floods.

Ahh - but did Daumas Gassac get flooded too? What was that about Guibert saying that had the local forest been razed, there'd have been floods? Then again, if the vineyard is in a valley, that might explain itself.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca