Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Extend a Marsala sauce?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Extend a Marsala sauce?

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:53 am

How to I extend a Marsala sauce without losing the “marsala” wine character? I’m making a larger than normal batch of chicken marsala. After I deglaze with marsala, I cook it down a bit, add a little chicken stock, simmer then add about 4 tblsp very cold butter @ the end, stir and serve.

I’d like to have more sauce, but still maintain its character. More marsala? More chicken stock…equal measures of both and thicken w/ arrowroot or cornstarch?...or a roux? I’m just not sure of the technique. Sauces, outside of marinara, are one of my cooking weak points.

Thanks,

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Extend a Marsala sauce?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 am

I recently made the Marcella Hazan Marsala and Cream recipe that adds 1/3 cup of heavy cream to the 1/2cup dry marsala based sauce. I loved it and there is quite a bit of sauce.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:04 pm

You're on the right track, Richard. More of EVERYTHING. Now if you'd like to have more sauce but without adding more fat than the 4 T of butter already in there, you can augment your sauce as you guessed with a corn starch slurry (use chix broth as your liquid). Don't go roux--besides adding a flavor you might not want, flour would occlude your sauce and a marsala should be, IMO, clear.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks for the help Jenise.

Richard
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:57 pm

This is just my instinct but, if possible, I would try using a larger(wider) pan with more bottom surface. That would still give you the rapid reduction needed to get the sauce and yet increase the quantity.

It has always seemed to me that many sauces that rely on reductions never taste the same if done in sauce pans where the depth of the liquid is greatly increased. Could be my imagination or superstition though. I have been know to have both.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:17 am

George,

That was my plan. To use the turkey roasting pan over 2-3 burner, instead of the big skillet. Especially since this is a large than normal batch.

Richard