Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cippoline Agrodolce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Cippoline Agrodolce

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:22 pm

A classic way to do many vegetables but especially nice with onions. I am reminded because I made them yesterday to serve with short ribs braised in coffee/ancho chile sauce. Cippoline are the small, very flat 1-2" round onions just now in our markets.

1 # cippoline peeled, root end intact. Cook 20 min in water and 1 1/2 T butter in a pan in which the onions sit flat with the water almost up to the tops. Turn once or twice.
Add slightly less than 1T. vinegar - I use a good wine vinegar. If you use balsamic, use less sugar, pinch of salt and slightly less than 1 tsp sugar.
Cook at a bare simmer for 2 hrs. You want to end up with a rich, brown
syrup. If too dry before finished add a bit of water.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cippoline Agrodolce

by Jenise » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:53 pm

Sounds fantastic. Never cooked them this way. But, two hours isn't too much? Cippolines are so small, I would have thought they'd have cooked to nothing in that much time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:51 pm

Yes, they are probably done before 2 hr but the flavor continues to concentrate. There is no onion texture, only a little bag of onion puree. Be sure to leave the root end intact so that the outer layer of onion stays intact and acts like a purse. Serve warm although I just ate the leftovers at room temp in a romaine/red pepper/sheved carrot salad -nearly as good.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Christina, how high do you put the water temp during the first 20 minutes? Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:02 pm

Initial temp is medium so that the water has steady bubbles but not roiling. Before turning the water down there should be about 1/2 " left in the pan. Later, just a very low simmer - a bubble here and there.

Check out Marcella Hazan - Classical Italian Cooking for a real recipe. I fly by the seat of my pants as you can probably tell by my sketchy posts !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:24 pm

I simmered from the get go, seem to be doing just fine. The aroma is wonderful. Thanks -- I had three bags left over from New Years and used two this afternoon.