Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Convection-microwave ovens?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Convection-microwave ovens?

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:24 pm

My wife and I (she is standing over my shoulder as I write this) are making changes to our kitchen and we (my wife actually) is debating getting a combination convection-microwave over the range oven (microhood).

As they are quite pricey, we are wondering if it is worth the extra $ to have the convection option or just go with a microwave.

Do they work as well as they say they do? Do they brown and crisp foods?

Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Convection-microwave ovens?

by Howie Hart » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:47 pm

I inherited my mother's micro-convection a couple of years ago, which she had for quite a while. Within a week of getting it, the microwave tube went, so I've been just using for convection cooking for about a year and a half. I also have a stand alone microwave, so I've been using that as an excuse for not ordering the part for the combo. But, I digress. The convection does an excellent job. I've done pies, dinner rolls, roast chicken, baked fish and find it quicker and more convenient than the regular oven in the range. Its also great for warming up things like leftover pizza and wings, which can get ruined in the microwave.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 pm

When we set up the kitchen in our new house last year we origially wanted an oven with a combination micro/convection/warming oven over it. Although we swear we have seen such combos in the past, we could not find one. So we ended up going with a Viking microwarve, oven, warming oven "wall." The oven can be used as plain ole, combination plain ole/convection, pure convection, mini broil, maxi broi, and convection broil. The fan runs all the time the oven is on, which is great. The Viking system is all electric. For stovetop we have a five burner DCS propane unit. We are very, very happy with all the above, and recommend same to others.
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:31 pm

I recently purchased a microwave/convection oven (Sears counter-top, Best Buy in Consumer Reports). I am still learning how to use it. I can highly recommend it for roasting chicken -- the skin will be as crisp as on a spit-roasted bird and the meat will be juicy and tender (I have done it both ways -- convection only and combo roast and like both results). I have also been roasting vegetables (potatoes, brussel sprouts, asparagus, onions) and can get nice carmelization. You do need to pre-heat the oven when using the convection function. I have not used it so far for baking pies, breads, brownies (Mostly because I don't make a lot of sweet items and bake my breads on a stone in the big oven). While I have not noticed that it cooks much faster, I assume it must be much more energy efficient roasting, say, a 4 lb chicken in the much smaller combo oven than it would be to roast it in the regular full-sized oven. And because you can roast/bake in the combo oven, it does give you the option of a second, albeit, small oven for big meals or multiple dishes at once. My only caution about having the combo oven over the stove would be the height. I'm a little vertically challenged and so I would be nervous about taking hot (and the pans get as hot as they would in a conventional oven) items out of the combo oven from that height. Other than that I would recommend a micro/convection oven any time.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:06 pm

I love my convection oven.

I also hate microwaving, so I might be a prejudiced poster...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:43 pm

I have two big Dacor ovens, both do convection, as well. Sadly to say, I have only used the covection when roasting tomatoes in the summer for tomato sauce. Worked great. I must get my book out again and give the convection a try.
Oh, I forgot, our RV has convection, and it seems to work great. Basically, I just cook casseroles, baked potatoes and some veggies in the RV oven.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Another convection question. Are the cooking time and temperature the same for convection ovens as for conventional ovens, or do I need to adjust one or both?
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:16 pm

Another convection question. Are the cooking time and temperature the same for convection ovens as for conventional ovens, or do I need to adjust one or both?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Linda, I think that cooking with convection will reduce the cooking time by as much as 20%. On my ceramic grill I often cook using the indirect method which is convective cooking and roasts animal and fowl always seem to cook quicker than when I cook directly over the coals, and with less chance of overcooking too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:52 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Another convection question. Are the cooking time and temperature the same for convection ovens as for conventional ovens, or do I need to adjust one or both?

My m/c oven came with an all-to-skimpy instruction booklet. However, the recommended cook times are about the same as conventional ovens -- but the temperatures recommended are between 25-50 degrees less. So six of one, half-dozen of the other, either a bit faster or a bit lower temperature.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:20 am

Thank you to all for your views/contributions. We have decided to order a convection-microwave oven. It should be in sometime early next week.

Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:Thank you to all for your views/contributions. We have decided to order a convection-microwave oven. It should be in sometime early next week.

Thanks again.

When's the WLDG dinner?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:44 am